The Old Devonshire Parish Church is believed to have been built on this site in 1624, although the present foundation dates from 1716. An explosion virtually destroyed the church on Easter in 1970, but it was reconstructed. Today, the tiny structure looks more like a vicarage than a church. Some of the church's contents survived the blast, including silver dating from 1590, which may be the oldest on the island. The Old Devonshire Parish Church is about a 15-minute walk northwest of the "new" Devonshire Parish Church, which dates from 1846.