advertisement

139km (86 miles) NE of Vila Real; 522km (324 miles) NE of Lisbon

The medieval town of Bragança (Braganza in English) was under the aegis of the House of Bragança, which ruled Portugal from 1640 until its overthrow early in the 20th century. On a hilltop, a long, fortified wall still surrounds the town -- the best-preserved medieval town in Portugal. It overlooks the modern town in the northeastern reaches of the country on a rise of ground in the Serra da Nogueira, some 600m (1,968 ft.) above sea level.