Also called Wat Maha Photharam, Wat Jed Yod ("Temple of the Seven Spires") is one of the city's most elegant sites, though it is located northwest of the center, beside the Superhighway. The chedi was built during the reign of King Tilokkarat in the late 15th century (his remains are in one of the other chedis), and, in 1477, the World Sangkayana convened here to revise the doctrines of the Buddha.
The unusual design of the main rectangular chedi with seven peaks was copied from the Maha Bodhi Temple in Bodhgaya, India, where the Buddha first achieved enlightenment. The temple also has architectural elements reflecting Burmese and early Chinese influences supposed to date back to the Yuan and Ming dynasties. The extraordinary proportions; the angelic, levitating devata (Buddhist spirits) figures carved into the base of the chedi; and the juxtaposition of the other buildings make Wat Jed Yod a masterpiece.