Inexpensive -- Cienfuegos has scores of good casa particular options. You'll find no shortage of jineteros (hustlers) offering to show you a room. You'll find the greatest concentration of casas particulares all along and near the Prado (Av. 37), as well as surrounding the Parque José Martí and on Punta Gorda. In addition to the Hostal Palacio Azul, dependable and clean choices include:
- Casa Amistad, Av. 56 no. 2927, between Calles 29 and 31 (tel. 43/51-6143; email@example.com), a colonial house with a wonderful front living room, two rooms, and some hearty home-cooked food (it's a stone's throw from Parque José Martí).
- Villa Arecas, Av. 54 no. 4317 between Calles 43 and 45 (tel. 43/51-6606 or 524-52415; firstname.lastname@example.org), run by the very welcoming Dr. José Arteaga Herrera and his wife María Elena, who will offer you a piña colada on arrival.
- BellaPerlaMarina, Calle 39 no. 5818 at Av. 60 (tel. 43/51-8991, email@example.com) which offers two rooms -- one of which has an extraordinary bronze bed carved with mounted horses in flight -- and helpful advice from owner Waldo, who will help organize excursions.
- Casa Piñeiro, Calle 41 no. 1402 between Avenidas 14 and 16, Punta Gorda (tel. 43/51-3808; www.casapineiro.com), an enormous house with friendly owners and a great outdoor oven.
- Vista al Mar, Calle 37 no. 210 between Avenidas 2 and 4, Punta Gorda (tel. 43/51-8378; www.vistaalmarcuba.com; firstname.lastname@example.org), in the southern part of the city offers a small, sea-front patio.
- Villa Lagarto, Calle 35 no. 4B (tel. 43/51-9966; email@example.com), run by the very friendly Tony and Maylin, with two breezy, comfortable top-floor rooms, a seawater pool, and a garden overlooking the sea right at the tip of Punta Gorda.
- Casa Ana María, Calle 35 no. 20 (tel. 43/51-3269), an old colonial home, also out on Punta Gorda, with dark rooms. Hostess Ana María Font D'Escoubet prepares filling meals and can help arrange tours and activities around Cienfuegos.
The only true beach hotel close to Cienfuegos is Club Amigo Rancho Luna (tel. 43/54-8012; www.hotelescubanacan.com); however, this is a rather mediocre place catering to package-tour groups of folks who must be unaware that they have scores of better options all over Cuba. Still, if you want to go swimming for a few hours or the day, the beach here will certainly do. Finca Los Colorados, Carretera Rancho de Luna, Pasacaballos Km 18 (tel. 43/54-8044), a casa particular, is on the road close to the lighthouse.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.