Like something straight out of a Victorian novel, this early 19th-century jail is an austere, impressive, and highly atmospheric building. It opened in 1824 as a women’s prison. Its famous inmates included the extraordinary Constance Markievicz, the first woman elected to the British parliament. She was sentenced to execution after the 1916 Easter Rising, in which she took part—though her sentence was commuted. Earlier in its history, this was the last place in Ireland many convicts were held before being shipped off to Australia. This colorful history is well presented, with the (perhaps inevitable) aid of costumed mannequins in key positions. Somewhat incongruously, in 1927, after the building ceased to be used as a prison, it became the site of Ireland’s first radio station. A small museum tells this story, complete with a restored studio from the period.