Custom-built in 1879 for banker-surveyor Franklin Avery and his wife, Sara, this Victorian home at the corner of Mountain Avenue and Meldrum Street was constructed of red-and-buff sandstone from the quarries west of Fort Collins. The Poudre Landmarks Foundation and the city of Fort Collins purchased the house in 1974, restoring it to its original Victorian splendor -- from furniture to wallpaper to wallpapered ceilings. The grounds, with a gazebo, carriage house, and fountain, are popular for weddings and receptions. Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour.