Based on designs by the baroque architect Johann Jakob Herkommer, the Cathedral of St. James was rebuilt between 1717 and 1724. It is roofed with domes and has a lavish baroque interior, part of which was executed by the Asam brothers. Unfortunately, the church was heavily damaged during World War II. One of its chief treasures is the Maria Hilf (Mary of Succor), painted by Lucas Cranach the Elder, on the main altar. In the north aisle, look for a 1620 monument honoring Archduke Maximilian III, who died in 1618. Visits are prohibited during Mass.