Secreted behind an unobtrusive pink and purple gate is a Dominican church built in 1604 by the Genoese. The church was destroyed twice by fire and then was rebuilt by the renowned Fossati brothers from 1841 to 1843. The exterior of the church -- essentially a narrow alleyway enclosed by high walls -- is covered in inscriptions. The main treasure of the church is the famous icon of Mary Odighitria (the guide). According to tradition, Luke himself painted the icon. Although its authenticity has never been proven, this seems unimportant to those who gaze upon it. At the back of the church is a well-preserved section of the original Genoese defensive walls.