advertisement

Dominating the center of town is this castle, built in 1582 for the town's provost, Sir Thomas MacLellan. It has been a ruin since 1752, but it's impressive and worth a visit. A large staircase goes from the cellars on the ground floor to the Banqueting Hall, where a massive fireplace has what was called a "lairds lug" (spy hole). From almost anywhere in town, the jagged fangs of the castle loom overhead.