- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa (tel. 800/233-1234 or 808/661-1234; www.maui.hyatt.com): Spagoers will love Hawaii's first oceanfront spa. The 806 rooms of this fantasy resort, spread out among three towers, have very comfortable separate sitting areas and private lanai with eye-popping views. This huge place covers some 40 acres; even if you don't stay here, you might want to walk through the expansive tree-filled atrium and the parklike grounds.
- Kaanapali Alii (tel. 800/642-6284 or 808/661-3330; www.kaanapali-alii.com): The height of luxury, these oceanfront condominium units (right on Kaanapali Beach) combine all the amenities of a luxury hotel (including a 24-hr. front desk) with the convenience of a condominium. The beachside recreation area includes a swimming pool, a separate children's pool, a whirlpool, gas barbecue grills and picnic areas, exercise rooms, saunas, and tennis courts.
- Sheraton Maui Resort (tel. 866/716-8109 or 808/661-0031; www.sheraton-maui.com): Offering the best location on Kaanapali Beach, recent renovations, and a great hassle-free experience, the Sheraton is my pick of Kaanapali hotels. This is the place for travelers who just want to arrive, have everything ready for them, and get on with their vacation. (Sheraton has a "no-hassle" check-in: The valet takes you and your luggage straight to your room, which means no time wasted standing in line at registration.)
- Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (tel. 800/262-8440 or 808/669-6200; www.ritzcarlton.com): With its great location, style, and loads of hospitality, this is the best Ritz anywhere. Situated on the coast below the picturesque West Maui Mountains, this grand, breezy hotel overlooks the Pacific Ocean and Molokai across the channel. The natural setting, on an old coastal pineapple plantation, is the picture of tranquillity. The service is legendary, the golf courses are daunting, and the nearby beaches are perfect for snorkeling, diving, and just relaxing.
- The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui (tel. 800/659-4100 or 808/875-4100; www.fairmont.com/kealani): This all-suite luxury hotel in Wailea has 840-square-foot suites featuring kitchenettes with microwaves and coffeemakers, living rooms with high-tech media centers and pullout sofa beds (great if you have the kids in tow), marble wet bars, and spacious bedrooms. The oversize marble bathrooms have separate showers big enough for a party. Large lanai off the bedrooms and living rooms overlook the pools and lawns, with views that sweep right down to the white-sand beach.
- Hotel Hana-Maui (tel. 800/321-HANA  or 808/248-8211; www.hotelhanamaui.com): Picture Shangri-La, Hawaiian style: 66 acres rolling down to the sea in a remote Hawaiian village, with two pools and access to one of the best beaches in Hana. This is the atmosphere, the landscape, and the culture of old Hawaii set in the latest accommodations of the 21st century. A white-sand beach just a 5-minute shuttle ride away, a top-notch wellness center, and numerous activities (horseback riding, mountain biking, tennis, pitch-and-putt golf) all add up to make this one of the top resorts in the state.
- Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa (tel. 800/888-6100 or 808/875-1234; www.grandwailea.com): There's nothing subtle or understated about it, but many travelers adore this over-the-top fantasy resort. It has 10,000 tropical plants in the lobby; a fabulous pool with slides, waterfalls, and rapids; Hawaii's largest spa; plush oceanview rooms; and a superb location on a gorgeous stretch of beach.
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea (tel. 800/334-MAUI  or 808/874-8000; www.fourseasons.com/maui): This is the ultimate beach hotel for latter-day royals, offering excellent cuisine, spacious rooms, gracious service, and Wailea Beach -- one of Maui's best gold-sand beaches -- right outside the front door. Every room has at least a partial ocean view from a private lanai. The luxury suites are as big as some Honolulu condos and full of marble and deluxe appointments.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.