This site has been occupied by a fortress since the days of the Aztec (archaeologists discovered an ancient Teotihuacán settlement behind the landmark), although the present palace wasn't built until 1784. The castle offers a beautiful view of Mexico City. During the French occupation of the 1860s, Empress Carlota (who designed the lovely garden surrounding the palace) could sit up in bed and watch her husband, Maximilian, proceeding down Reforma on his way to work. Later this was the official home of Mexico's president until 1939. Exhibition halls 1 through 9 have recently undergone remodeling.