advertisement

Lending its name to the street famous for its manger artists and vendors, this little visited church has a lavishly decorated baroque interior, a beautiful bell tower, and a peaceful adjoining cloister. Dating from the 8th century, the church's interior was reworked in 1580, with extravagant use of gold leaf and artwork by famous masters of the time: The exceptional wooden ceiling was carved and painted by Teodoro d'Errico, while the frescoes in the counterfacade are by Luca Giordano. Don't miss the pretty cloister of the attached convent (through the entrance outside the church, beyond the bell tower), where the nuns still live and run an infant school; it is beautifully preserved and graced by a marble fountain depicting Jesus meeting the good Samaritan.