advertisement

Manhattan’s only surviving pre-Revolutionary church, from 1766, was built by Thomas McBean to resemble St. Martin-in-the-Fields in London. With a light, elegant Georgian interior, a temple-like portico, and fluted Ionic columns, the humble Episcopal chapel and its small graveyard, filled with 18th- and 19th-century tombstones, serve as both a city landmark and welcome sanctuary from the hubbub of the Financial District. After the terrorist attacks of September 11th, the chapel opened its doors as a refuge for rescue workers, and the story of 9/11 is poignantly on display through artifacts, impromptu altars, and donations from around the world.