advertisement

Not far from Castle Clinton, across the street from the northeast corner of Battery Park is the relatively modern 1907-built U.S. Customs House, which houses the National Museum of the American Indian and a federal bankruptcy court. Designed by Cass Gilbert and now a National Historic Landmark, the granite structure features giant statues carved by Daniel Chester French (of Lincoln Memorial fame) lining the front that personify Asia (pondering philosophically), America (bright eyed and bushy tailed), Europe (decadent and whose time has passed), and Africa (sleeping). Inside, the airy oval rotunda designed by Spanish engineer Raphael Guastavino was frescoed by Reginald Marsh to glorify the shipping industry (and, by extension, the Customs office once housed here).