Constructed in 1485 and dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli, this church stands next door to the Regional Gallery and can be easily visited at the same time. In the late Middle Ages, this was an enclave of the Franciscans. Much changed and altered over the centuries, the exterior of La Gancia contains a Gothic portal with a bas-relief on the arch. Inside, the nave is without aisles but contains a total of 16 side chapels and a marble floor in different hues.
The sculptor Giacomo Serpotta added baroque stucco decorations. The patterned wooden ceiling is romantically painted with stars on a blue background. The chief treasure of La Gancia is a splendid organ by Raffaele della Valle that dates from the late 1500s, making it the oldest in Palermo. At the marble pulpit, look for the relief tondi of the Annunciation, the work of Antonello Gagini in the 16th century. As a curiosity, note the novice monk peering over the top of a cornice in the chapel to the left of the main altar.