Best Restaurant Bets
* Best for romance: Thinking of popping the question? Think no more, just reserve a table at Lasserre and get it over with for once and for all. With its retractable ceiling, legendary kitchen, and elegant décor, there’s no better setting.
* Best for families: Set inside the Buttes Chaumont park, at Rosa Bonheur parents can enjoy tapas on a large, outdoor terrace while their kids play in the grass. French fry freaks and their meat-eating parents will love Le Relais de l’Entrecôte, where delicious steak-frites with a special sauce is the only thing on the menu.
* Best splurge: If you are planning to pull all the stops out, do it at L’Arpège, where elegance meets excellence both on the plate and in the décor. Alain Passard deftly creates miracles with vegetables that come from his own gourmet farm, as well as other fresh, top-quality ingredients.
* Best value: For a taste of bistronomy (as in, gourmet, modernized bistro food) at a reasonable price, look no farther than Mangetout. For an affordable meal with authentic regional flavor (Brittany), try Crêperie Josselin.
* Best classic bistro: For once, the critics seem to agree on something: Bistrot Paul Bert is one of the best bistros in the city, and that’s saying a lot in a city with as many great bistros as this one.
* Best mom-and-pop restaurant: One of the last of a dying breed in the city center, Au Petit Bar has resisted gentrification. Nothing seems to have changed for decades at this tiny family owned restaurant, which serves cheap, old-fashioned comfort food.
* Best for tapas: Yes, tapas now can have a French accent, especially when the chef comes from the southwest, near the Spanish border, as is the case at Pinxo one of super-chef Alain Dutournier’s more recent enterprises.
* Best for wine enthusiasts: If what’s in your glass is just as important as what’s on the plate, saunter over to Les Papilles, where the walls are covered with shelves of the best bottles, and the knowing staff will guide you in your search for the ultimate elixir.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.