advertisement

This baptistery was built in those strong Pistoian bands of dark green and white by Cellino di Nese from 1337 to 1359, based on a design by Andrea Pisano. The Gothic pulpit to the right of the entrance was added in 1399, and the Madonna above the door is the work of Tommaso and Nino Pisano. The spare interior, with bare bricks showing off the bulk of the dome, contains a reconstituted baptismal font (1226) of carved and intarsia marble panels by Lanfranco da Como.