advertisement

The side facade of this small, supremely Romanesque church is an orderly festival of blind arcades, inlaid diamond lozenges, and stripes to put a zebra to shame. Inside are a giant 13th-century crucifix, a Visitation in white terra cotta by Luca della Robbia, and a Giovanni Pisano holy-water stoup. The main attraction, however, is the pulpit (1270) by Fra' Guglielmo da Pisa (a student of Nicola Pisano). Of the three major pulpits in Pistoia (San Bartolomeo in Pantano and Sant'Andrea), this is the most solidly Romanesque.