Marie de l'Incarnation arrived in Québec City in 1639, and her Ursuline convent, originally built as a girls' school in 1642, is North America's oldest. The chapel is significant for the wooden sculptures in its pulpit and two richly decorated altarpieces, created by Pierre-Noël Levasseur between 1726 and 1736. Although the present building dates only from 1902, much of the interior decoration is nearly 200 years older. Marie de l'Incarnation's tomb is to the right of the entry. She was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1980. The museum tells the story of the nuns, who were also pioneers and artists. The museum reopened in March 2011 after being closed much of the previous year with two new exhibits. The first one (a permanent exhibit) pertains to girls' education by the Ursulines, called "L'Académie des Demoiselles," and the second one pertains to the Ursulines' embroideries and will run for two years. They also added an elevator in the annex building that allows people with reduced mobility to have access to all three floors of the museum.
- Leslie Brokaw, Erin Trahan, Matthew Barber