advertisement

Completed in 1866, Council Hall is a fine example of Federal Greek Revival architecture. Originally located downtown, it first served as City Hall and the meeting place for the Territorial Legislature; in the early 1960s it was dismantled, coded, and reassembled -- block by sandstone block, 325 of them -- in its present location. Today, it houses the Utah Travel Council (www.utah.com) upstairs; the ground floor contains a bookstore and gift shop. Allow 45 minutes.