Opening onto an open-air marketplace, Collegiate Church was built between 1694 and 1707 for the Benedictine university founded in 1622 and designed by the great baroque architect Fischer von Erlach. The university, disbanded in 1810, was reopened in 1962 as part of the University of Salzburg (the main campus is in the suburb of Nonntal). There are a few other old university buildings in the area, including a fine library and reading room. This, von Erlach's greatest and largest Salzburg church, is one of the most celebrated baroque churches in all of Austria (and that's saying a lot). Altar paintings are by Rottmayr.