Santa Lucía church is one of El Salvador's premier examples of colonial architecture and is currently undergoing a much-anticipated but drawn out restoration. Its brilliant white facade, set against a startling green mountain backdrop, is one of the first things visitors see upon arrival into town, and its dark, rich wood interior packs some serious history. It took 9 years to build and was finally completed in 1853. Above its six-columned atrium is a small clock, topped by a silver plate donated by a grateful bride. The altar is made of elaborately carved wood, and 36 tall wood beams run down the sides of the long, narrow church. Santa Lucía also features numerous life-size statues encased in glass and a small, pen-and-ink drawing of a crying Jesus. It doesn't match the grandeur of Santa Ana's Gothic cathedral, but it's one of the country's more beautiful and traditional churches and makes for a peaceful and serene break from the heat.