advertisement

Sydney's most impressive place of worship, built for its large population of Irish convicts, is a giant sandstone and stained-glass construction between the Domain and Hyde Park. The foundation stone was laid in 1821, but the Roman Catholic chapel was destroyed by fire in 1865. Work on the present cathedral began in 1868; but due to lack of funds, it remained unfinished until 2000, when the two spires were completed in extra-quick time for the Olympics.