The Rathaus was built in 1370 as a warehouse but has served as the town hall since 1419. It contains some ornate murals dating from the mid-16th century. On the south gable hang coats of arms of cities and countries with which Ulm is linked by commerce. On the east gable is an astronomical clock from 1520. Above the staircase is a reproduction of A. L. Berblinger's flying machine from 1811. Known as "the tailor of Ulm," he was one of the first people to make a serious attempt at flight.