The oldest of the great estates on the Hudson, this 1750 Georgian manor house was home to seven successive generations of one of New York State's most prominent families, the Livingstons. Philip Livingston was one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence, and Robert Livingston possessed one of the largest private libraries in the U.S., a large portion of which survives at Clermont. The family's important role in Revolutionary activities led the British to burn Clermont in 1777. The nearly 500-acre estate, on a 45-foot-high bluff with great views of the river below and the Catskill Mountains in the distance, has excellent woodland hiking trails out past the formal gardens, bar, and gardener's cottages. The house today for the most part evokes the 1920s, when the house was remodeled as a Colonial Revival, though it contains furnishings and belongings from more than 200 years of Livingstons at Clermont. The visitor center plays a short film that interviews the last resident of the house, Alice Livingston.