advertisement

A Roman Catholic teaching congregation known as the Piarists (fathers of religious schools) launched work on the Piaristenkirche in 1716. The church, more popularly known as Piaristenplatz, was not consecrated until 1771. Some of the designs submitted during that long period are believed to have been drawn by von Hildebrandt, the noted architect who designed the Belvedere Palace, but many builders had a hand in its construction. This church is noteworthy for its fine classic facade as well as the frescoes by F. A. Maulbertsch that adorn the inside of the circular cupolas.