advertisement

Built in 1725, this medieval-style cottage still doesn't have running water or electricity. When the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities took the house over in 1971, it stripped away plaster and discovered the Champford ceiling beams in their original condition (note the chalk marks carpenters made in 1725). Tours led by costumed docents explain the house and interpret Colonial lifestyles. We moderns won't find Lynnhaven oysters as gigantic as the shells excavated from the trash pit and displayed in the kitchen.