Winchester College was founded by William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester and chancellor to Richard II, and was first occupied in 1394. Its buildings have been in continuous use for more than 600 years, making it the oldest continuously open school in England. The structures vary from Victorian Tudor Gothic to the more modern trimmings of the New Hall, designed in 1961. The Chapel Hall, kitchens, and the Founder's Cloister date from the 14th century. In the 17th century, buildings were added on the south side, including a schoolroom constructed between 1683 and 1687. Exploration of the college is possible only by guided tour, lasting an hour and covering the Chamber Court, the 14th-century Gothic chapel, and the College Hall, among other sights.