Virgin America's Winter Break Sale
From Virgin America (tel. 877/359.8474; www.virginamerica.com), their Winter Break sale is valid for travel Mondays through Saturdays, from November 6 through February 13. Fares require a 21-day advance purchase.
Avoid blackout dates: November 12, 15-26; December 14, 15, 21-23, 26 30; and January 2, 5, 6, 18, and 21.
Tickets must be booked by 11:59pm CDT, October 25. Round-trip, nonstop fares with all taxes include:
- San Francisco to Chicago: $290
- San Francisco to Dallas: $298
- San Francisco to Los Angeles: $130
- San Francisco to Las Vegas: $138
- San Diego to San Francisco: $130
- Los Angeles to Portland: $170
- Los Angeles to Chicago: $254
- Dallas to Los Angeles: $278
- Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles: $348
- Orlando to San Francisco: $358
Last Chance: AirTran's 10-Day Sale
AirTran's (tel. 800/AIR-TRAN; www.airtran.com) 10-day sale is set to expire this week. Fares are valid for domestic travel through February 14, and international travel through March 6, every day of the week except Sundays.
Blackout Dates Apply: For domestic, November 15-21 & 23-26 and December 20-23 & 26, 2012-January 6. For international travel, avoid blackouts November 23-26, December 20-29 and January 1-6. All bookings must be made by 11:59pm PT, October 25.
Round-trip fares with all taxes added include:
- Atlanta to Boston: $282
- Boston to Fort Lauderdale: $226
- Fort Lauderdale to New York: $226
- New York to Orlando: $200
- Orlando to Philadelphia: $240
- Branson to Orlando: $208
- Charlotte to Las Vegas: $246
- Orlando to San Francisco: $276
- Los Angeles to Philadelphia: $306
- Jacksonville to New York: $232
- Akron to New York: $208
From Southwest: "10 Days of Great Deals"
Also expiring this week, the 10 Days of Great Deals sale from Southwest (tel. 800/435-9792; www.southwest.com) is valid for travel from October 26 through February 14. Sale fares may not be available on all flights, such as those that operate during peak travel periods.
Avoid blackout dates: November 15-21, November 23-26, December 20-23, and December 26 to January 6. All bookings must be made by 11:59pm PT, October 25.
Round-Trip fares with all taxes added include:
- Fort Lauderdale to Columbus: $246
- Greenville to Orlando: $180
- Des Moines to Las Vegas: $278
- Los Angeles to Des Moines: $312
- Columbus to Nashville: $186
- Newark to Baltimore: $170
- Orlando to Atlanta: $118
- Atlanta to Houston: $158
- Boston to Milwaukee: $286
- Milwaukee to Baltimore: $272
Aer Lingus Sales to Ireland & Europe
Aer Lingus (tel. 800/223-6537; www.aerlingus.com) tends to pull through with some of the lowest fares to Ireland and Europe, especially during these off peak fall and winter months. Though a tad higher than what we've seen in the past, their two current sales are still the lowest on offer for these routes. From their Ireland sale, valid travel dates will vary by departure city, but range from early January through late February, Mondays through Thursdays.
A surcharge of up to $80 may be tacked on for tickets booked via telephone or at the airport counter. Fares require a Saturday-night minimum stay. All bookings must be made by October 31.
Sample round-trip, nonstop fares with all added taxes include:
For travel to Europe, depart from New York, Boston, and Chicago. Travel dates will vary by departure, but range from November 11 through February 28.
Travel in Economy Class, Monday through Thursday. Add an additional $20 for weekend travel. Fares not available on all flights/dates, especially around peak holiday periods. All tickets must be purchased by 7pm ET, October 25.
These fares include:
- New York to Birmingham, England: $697
- New York to Edinburgh, Scotland: $737
- New York to Barcelona, Spain: $747
- New York to Rome, Italy: $747
- New York to Venice, Italy: $747
- Chicago to London, England: $827
- Chicago to Bristol, England: $797
- Boston to Barcelona, Spain: $797
- Boston to Amsterdam, Holland: $797
From Delta: Nonstop Sale to Europe
As part of the (current sale from Delta Air Lines (tel. 800/221-1212; www.delta.com), save on nonstop flights to Europe for travel in fall/winter/early spring. Travel dates will vary by route so be sure to check our Fare Details for specifics. Tickets require a Saturday night stay, with an allowed maximum stay of 1 month. Fares not valid for travel during peak holidays.
Tickets must be booked by October 26. Round-trip, nonstop fares with all taxes added include:
- Atlanta to Zurich, Switzerland: $935
- Boston to London, England: $859
- New York to Dublin, Ireland: $569
- New York to Madrid, Spain: $700
Mexico Sale from Alaska Airlines
Save on fall flights to Mexico with the current sale from Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) . Travel dates and rules will vary by route, so be sure to read our Fare Details for specifics.
Travel to Mexico is valid Sundays through Wednesdays from November 24 through March 7. Travel to the US is valid Tuesdays through Fridays from November 29 through March 7. Tickets require a 7-day advance purchase.
No advance purchase required. All tickets must be booked by 11:59pm, October 30.
Round-trip fares with all taxes added include:
- San Jose to Los Cabos, Mexico: $339
- Monterey to Los Cabos, Mexico: $433
- San Diego to Los Cabos, Mexico: $326
- Fresno to Los Cabos, Mexico: $434
Â From the Mail Bag: Compensated for Rental to Make Connection
Q. Our group was flying from Akron to Los Angeles, with a connection in Detroit on Delta. We received a call that the Akron flight was delayed over an hour and 45 minutes, which would cause us to miss the connecting flight to L.A. Our group decided to rent a van and rapidly drive to Detroit to make the connection. (Yes, we had approval to get on the second leg without flying the first leg) . Needless to say, this was an inconvenience, but how do we get compensated for our van rental and the financial loss of the first leg of the trip? What can we expect from Delta?
* Additional Reporting by Tracy Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.