Hawaii Sales for Late Summer/Fall Travel
Save on fall flights to the Hawaiian Islands with new sales from both Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) and Hawaiian Airlines (tel. 800/367-5320; www.hawaiianair.com). Hawaiian's current sale is valid for travel is valid from Aug. 13 through Dec. 14.
All tickets must be booked by Aug. 13. Other carriers may be matching along some routes.
Round-trip fares include:
- Las Vegas to Honolulu $403, including all taxes
- Los Angeles to Honolulu $382, including all taxes
- Los Angeles to Kahului-Maui $445, including all taxes
- New York to Honolulu $562, including all taxes
- Portland to Honolulu $378, including all taxes
- San Diego to Honolulu $336, including all taxes
- San Francisco to Honolulu $362, including all taxes
- Seattle to Honolulu $422, including all taxes
- Seattle to Kahului-Maui $402, including all taxes
- Oakland to Kahului-Maui $377, including all taxes
Alaska Airlines' latest Hawaii Sale is valid for Sunday through Friday travel, from September 5 through Dec. 11. Rules and restrictions may vary slightly by route. All tickets must be purchased by Aug. 14.
Avoid blackout dates for travel to Hawaii from Nov. 15 through Nov. 21. Sale fares are not available for travel from Hawaii Nov. 23 through Nov. 28. Sale fares are not available for travel from Honolulu to Portland, Medford or Bend from Nov. 11 through Nov. 28.
Germany, Switzerland, Austria Sale from AirBerlin
For those who've been hoarding their vacation days for cooler temps and lower fares, you might find something in the new Fall/Winter Sale from AirBerlin (tel. 866/266-5588; www.airberlin.com). Fares are valid for travel to destinations in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, departing from New York, Miami, and Ft. Myers, as well as recently added winter service from Los Angeles.
Travel is valid from Nov. 1 through Feb. 28. All tickets must be booked by Aug. 31.
We were able to find fares ranging from $675 from New York to Dusseldorf, to $796 nonstop from Los Angeles to Dusseldorf, both including all taxes.
You'll find more info on this and other current offers at AirBerlin.com.
Ireland Sale from Aer Lingus
Save on fall/winter flights to Ireland with the current sale from Aer Lingus (tel. 516/622-4226; www.aerlingus.com). Travel to Dublin is valid on Sunday through Saturday, from Nov. 9 through Dec. 12, and again from Jan. 9 through March 31. Travel to Shannon is valid from Nov. 9 through Dec. 12.
Tack on an additional $20-$40 surcharge for tickets booked via telephone or at the airport counter. Fares require a Saturday-night minimum stay.
All bookings must be made by Aug. 22.
- New York to Dublin $599, nonstop, including all taxes
- New York to Shannon $598, nonstop, including all taxes
- Chicago to Dublin $649, nonstop, including all taxes
- Boston to Dublin $628, nonstop, including all taxes
- Boston to Shannon $628, nonstop, including all taxes
Lost Bag Rules Differ for International Flights
Q: We flew to the Bahamas, and our bag was lost for a few days. Although we were reunited with it, we were surprised to learn that, if it had been lost forever, a different set of rules would apply for compensation because it was an international flight. For domestic flights, the maximum liability would have been $3,300, but it would just be pennies for international flights. Does this apply to all airlines and international travel?
A: Read on.
Additional reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.