Web Specials From Alaska Airlines
Alaska Airlines' (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) most recent web fares start at $59 one-way. Fare restrictions vary according to route, though most are valid for travel from May 10 through May 30, and require a 14-day advance purchase.
Fares are available one-way, and include:
- Anchorage to Dallas $476
- Boise to Los Angeles $178
- Fresno to Seattle $218
- Spokane to Portland $99
- Helena to Seattle $258
- Las Vegas to Seattle $198
- Mammoth Lakes to Portland $258
- Seattle to Redmond $158
Virgin America Adds New City
Virgin America (tel. 877/359-8474; www.virginamerica.com) has announced its latest city, and it is ... Toronto! Nonstop service begins June 23 from both San Francisco and Los Angeles. You'll find the lowest introductory fares are available for travel from June 23 through November 17, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, with fares about $20 higher for Monday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday travel. Fares must be purchased by May 4.
Blackout dates are July 2, July 5, September 3, and September 6.
Denver Sale From Southwest
Save on travel to/from Denver with Southwest (tel. 800/435-9792; www.southwest.com). This offer is valid for travel every day of the week except Fridays and Sundays, through July 15. Blackout dates are May 27 through June 1, and again from June 25 through July 6.
All purchases must be made by May 11, 11:59pm PT.
Fares require a 14-day advance purchase and include:
Qantas Sale to Australia & New Zealand
Save on summer flights from the US to Australia and/or New Zealand via the latest sale from
Qantas (tel. 800/227-4500; www.qantas.com). Offer is valid for travel to Australia through June 8, as well as July 24 through September 21, and for travel to New Zealand through June 3, as well as July 24 through August 31.
Fares to Australian destinations include one free stopover in New Zealand, with an additional stopover allowed for $150. For travel to New Zealand, two stopovers are allowed, each at $150.
All purchases must be made by April 29 and include:
- Chicago to Cairns, Australia $1,198 round-trip,, incl. all taxes
- Denver to Brisbane, Australia $1,054, incl. all taxes
- Dallas to Brisbane, Australia $1,052, incl. all taxes
- Newark to Melbourne, Australia $1,098, incl. all taxes
- New York to Brisbane, Australia $1,041, incl. all taxes
- Las Vegas to Melbourne, Australia $871, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Brisbane, Australia $828, incl. all taxes
- New York to Auckland, New Zealand $1,095, incl. all taxes
- San Diego to Melbourne, Australia $871, incl. all taxes
- St Louis to Melbourne, Australia $1,060, incl. all taxes
Spring Sale From Frontier
Hurry and you can still catch the last of this sale from Frontier (tel. 800/432-1359; www.frontierairlines.com), good for travel through June 2, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Fares require a 10-day advance purchase.
Avoid blackout dates May 27, 28, and 31.
Sale ends April 23, at 11:59pm ET.
- Albuquerque to Minneapolis $218
- Atlanta to Denver $218
- Nashville to Omaha $198
- Boston to Kansas City $188
- Colorado Springs to Los Angeles $188
- Des Moines to San Diego $244
- Newark to Omaha $238
- Chicago to Salt Lake City $228
- Milwaukee to Louisville $138
- San Antonio to Salt Lake City $228
Flying With Food: What's Allowed?
Thinking of gifting some your favorite flavors sampled during your travels? Careful what you pack, as not all foods are fit for flying, at least not by TSA standards. From the mailbag, one traveler writes, "I'm visiting family this summer and would like to bring along foods from home. I have searched the web site of my airline, but can't seem to find any mention of food restrictions, or bans on carrying food aboard the plane. What's the verdict?" Our answer on Airfarewatchdog.com.
Additional reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forums today.