New Summer Service to Fairbanks, Alaska
Frontier's new service to Fairbanks, Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) begins May 14. Service will operate on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, through September 12. Introductory fares are available for as low as $169 each-way from Denver, and $199 from other cities. Fares require a 14-day advance purchase, and all tickets must be booked by February 17. Blackout dates are May 27, 28, 31, July 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, and September 2, 3, and 6.
Also from Alaska, their latest batch of web specials start at $59 one-way, and are good for travel from February 16 through March 1. Travel days vary according to route, as not all flights will operate daily. Round-trip fares include:
- Boise to San Jose $238
- Burbank to Portland $238
- Eugene to San Francisco $318
- Portland to Medford $178
- Portland to Oakland $198
- Portland to San Francisco $238
- Portland to Sacramento $118
- Portland to Santa Rosa $238
- Seattle to Helena $298
- Seattle to Yakima $98
Click n' Save Fares from Southwest
Southwest's (tel. 800/435-9792; www.southwest.com) newest Click n' Save deals are valid for travel from January 12 through March 9, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Fares must be purchased by 11:59pm PT, January 4.
- Amarillo to Denver $98
- Austin to San Francisco $216
- Birmingham to New York $238
- Boston to Omaha $238
- Burbank to Tucson $172
- Baltimore to Long Island $128
- Cleveland to St Louis $98
- Dallas to Chicago $238
- Chicago to Pittsburgh $98
- Milwaukee to Providence $202
- Minneapolis to San Diego $238
Belize City Sale from American
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) has extended their sale to Belize, with fares starting at $298 round-trip, before taxes. This sale is good for winter travel, Mondays through Thursdays, from January 1 through March 31. Tickets require a Saturday night stay, and allow a max stay of 120 days.
All fares must be booked by 11:59pm CT, January 5.
- Hartford to Belize City $372 incl. all taxes
- Washington DC to Belize City $372 incl. all taxes
- Dallas to Belize City $403 incl. all taxes
- New York to Belize City $372 incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Belize City $445 incl. all taxes
- Kansas City to Belize City $419 incl. all taxes
- Miami to Belize City $358 incl. all taxes
- Chicago to Belize City $432 incl. all taxes
- St Louis to Belize City $372 incl. all taxes
Air Jamaica Sale to Montego Bay & Kingston
Air Jamaica (tel. 800/523-5585; www.airjamaica.com) is offering discounted fares from select U.S. cities to Kingston and Montego Bay. This sale is valid for travel from January 11 through May 15, with fares starting at $354 round-trip, with taxes. All fares must be purchased by January 5, and include:
- Ft Lauderdale to Montego Bay $298 incl. all taxes
- Ft Lauderdale to Kingston $301 incl. all taxes
- Philadelphia to Montego Bay, Jamaica $354, incl. all taxes
Infant Airfares Squirmier Than a Two-Year-Old
It sounds like the beginnings of a bad joke, but on a recent trip to Turkey, we asked ourselves this question: "How many Delta agents does it take to set a rate for an infant seat?" In our case, the answer was nine, starting with one gate agent who set the fare for our 6-month-old at $47, another who overrode her fare and set the rate at $374, and, after we complained, a team of seven in the fare department who determined that the fee should be $89.
Now, we're aware that flying with infants is a contentious issue. Most parents, for whom it's unavoidable, hope the fares are as low as possible. And naturally there are those like the Flyertalk member who recently responded to a post about Cathay Pacific's new rate increase (up to 25% of the adult fare from 10%): "If I had my way, infants shld [sic] be slammed with a 2,500% ticket fare."
Regardless of your feelings about tiny travelers, if you're forced to travel with one, some airlines make it easier - and cheaper - to plan your trip than others. Like who? We've got the scoop over in our blog.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart and Andrea Bennett
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forums today.