Save on Travel Between California & Alaska
The Alaska to California Sale from Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) is good for travel on Monday through Thursday, as well as Saturday, from May 15 through September 15. All tickets must be purchased by February 14.
- Los Angeles to Anchorage $558
- San Diego to Anchorage $558
- San Francisco to Anchorage $518
- San Jose to Anchorage $518
- Los Angeles to Cordova $558
- San Diego to Cordova $558
- San Francisco to Cordova $518
- San Jose to Cordova $518
- Los Angeles to Fairbanks $658
- San Diego to Fairbanks $658
- San Francisco to Fairbanks $618
- San Jose to Fairbanks $618
- Los Angeles to Juneau $518
- San Diego to Juneau $518
- San Francisco to Juneau $478
- San Jose to Juneau $478
South Florida Sale to the Caribbean & Latin America
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is once again lowering fares for travel from South Florida to the Caribbean and Latin America. This sale is valid for outbound travel through March 30, Mondays through Thursdays, and all trips must be completed by April 1.
Fares require a 2-day minimum stay, with an allowed maximum stay of 30 days. All tickets must be purchased by 11:59pm CT, February 22.
- Miami to Hamilton, Bermuda $438, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to St. Croix, US Virgin Islands $344, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Bogota, Colombia $310, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Managua, Nicaragua $234, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Medellin, Colombia $273, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to San Pedro Sula, Honduras $194, non-stop, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Willemstad, Curacao $283, non-stop, incl. all taxes
Save on Short Trips from Midwest Airlines
Save on short flights from Midwest Airlines (tel. 800/452-2022; www.midwestairlines.com). They've reduced fares between many of their short distance routes, good for travel by June 9. Fares are valid for travel on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and require a 10-day advance purchase, and a 3-night minimum stay in some instances.
Fares must be purchased by February 12. Beware of blackout dates, which include March 26, 27, 28, April 2, 3, May 27, 28, and 31.
- Appleton to Kansas City $128
- Nashville to Des Moines $248
- Cleveland to Madison $188
- Green Bay to Pittsburgh $158
- Kansas City to Minneapolis $218
- Madison to Omaha $158
Icelandair Spring Sale to Europe
Judging by our inbox and the questions left on our Facebook page, it would seem that quite a few folks are beginning to plan their spring/summer jaunts to Europe. And everyone wants to know, where are the deals? Well, we have a hunch we aren't going to see fares going for as low as they were last year at this time, if this winter's fares are any indication. But, the occasional bargain does come along, as is the case with last week's sale from Icelandair (tel. 800/223-5500; www.icelandair.is). Fares are pretty reasonable, especially when compared to what's been passing as a sale this season. This sale is for travel from April 12 through April 30, and must be booked by February 14.
- Boston to Amsterdam, Netherlands $607, incl. all taxes
- Boston to Copenhagen, Denmark $575, incl. all taxes
- Boston to Manchester, England $604, incl. all taxes
- Boston to Oslo, Norway $566, incl. all taxes
- New York to Amsterdam, Netherlands $587, incl. all taxes
- New York to Paris, France $586, incl. all taxes
- New York to Reykjavik, Iceland $479, incl. all taxes
- New York to Manchester, England $632, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Paris, France $676, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Copenhagen, Denmark $655, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Reykjavik, Iceland $503, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Oslo, Norway $616, incl. all taxes
Keeping Track of Baggage Fee Hikes
As you may have heard, American Airlines recently raised their checked baggage fees. Of course, we've been writing about these increased fees extensively, and have published an updated baggage fee chart. You can find it here (or you can always Google "airline baggage fees" and it should be the very first search result). Many airlines have raised the first and second checked bag fees for domestic travel by $5 dollars. Only Southwest Airlines, of the major U.S.-based carriers, does not charge a fee for the first two checked bags. You can save $2-$3 on Continental, Delta, United and US Airways by paying the fee online, but American does not offer this discount.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forums today.