Peak Valentine's Sale from Delta
Here's a nice little Valentine's sale from Delta (tel. 800/221-1212; www.delta.com), good for travel Feb. 10-15, valid any day of the week. Yes, some routes may seem a tad high at first glance, but we usually see carriers jack up their fares over Valentine's Day. So if you're looking to surprise your out-of-town honey (or meet a new one) this Feb. 14, these are the lowest fares on offer along these routes. Fares require a Saturday night stay, as well as a 10-day advance purchase.
All purchases must be made by February 1. Round-trip fares include:
- Newport News to Ft Lauderdale $184
- Madison to Tampa $206
- Columbus to San Diego $214
- Minneapolis to Las Vegas $230
- Denver to Atlanta $218
- Seattle to Salt Lake City $178
- Minneapolis to New York $277
- Detroit to Tulsa $269
- Fargo to San Jose $226
- Fresno to New York $296
The Big Game Sale from AirTran
AirTran's (tel. 800/AIR-TRAN; www.airtran.com) latest sale is valid through May 24, with the exception of destinations in Florida, which are valid for travel through March 16. You'll find the lowest fares available for travel on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. For trips to the Caribbean, Bermuda and Mexico, travel Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Avoid blackout dates: Feb. 18-19, 21; April 21-25 and 30; May 1, 2011 for domestic travel, and Feb. 19 and 20; March 12, 13, 18-20 and 26; April 2 and 23, for Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Tickets require a 10-day advance purchase and must be booked by 11:59 p.m. ET on Feb. 8, 2011.
Round-trip fares include:
- Atlanta to Newport News $148
- Baltimore to Orlando $158
- Columbus to Orlando $168
- New York to Tampa $188
- Palm Beach to Philadelphia $188
- Ft Lauderdale to Kansas City $188
- Milwaukee to Ft Myers $178
- Detroit to San Francisco $308
- Los Angeles to Sarasota $308
Domestic Sale from American Airlines
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is matching the above AirTran sale, with deals on travel throughout the US. Travel is valid Monday-Thursday, through May 24. Avoid blackout dates on Feb. 21, March 14, April 21, and 25. Fares may require a minimum Saturday-night stay, as well as a 10-day advance purchase.
Sale expires 11:59pm CT, Feb. 8. Round-trip fares include:
- Chicago to Allentown $268
- Chicago to Columbus, GA. $278
- Chicago to Raleigh-Durham $188
- Chicago to Wichita $238
- Dallas to Charlotte $228
- Dallas to Columbus $228
- Dallas to Ft Walton Beach $228
- Dallas to Gulfport $258
- Dallas to Rochester $258
Florida Sale from American Airlines
Reached your fill of winter weather? Double layers, numb noses, street slush -- blech! For those in need of a mid-winter thaw, there's always Florida! And it just so happens that American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) has discounted select destinations in Florida for travel through March 16.
This offer is valid for travel Monday through Thursday. Tickets require a 10-day advance purchase, as well as a minimum Saturday-night stay. Blackout dates are Feb. 21 and March 14.
All purchases must be made by 11:59pm CT, Feb. 8.
Atlanta to Miami $120
- Chicago to Ft Myers $122
- Greensboro to Ft Myers $188
- Pittsburgh to Miami $178
- Indianapolis to Miami $178
- Lexington to West Palm Beach $148
- Dallas to Ft Walton Beach $228
- Dallas to Tallahassee $308
- Wilkes-Barre to Ft Lauderdale $188
Going Once, Going Twice: Mexico on Sale
Save on travel to Mexico with the current sale from American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com). Fares are valid for travel Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, through April 13. A minimum stay of two nights is required, with an allowed maximum stay of one year.
Round-trip fares require a 14-day advance purchase. All tickets must be booked by 11:59pm CT, Jan. 28.
Boston to Cozumel $354, incl. all taxes
- Charleston to Cancun $404, incl. all taxes
- Cincinnati to Cozumel $441, incl. all taxes
- Ft Lauderdale to Cozumel $340, incl. all taxes
- Orlando to Cozumel $307, incl. all taxes
- Dallas to Aguascalientes $507, incl. all taxes
- Dallas to Chihuahua $515, incl. all taxes
- Dallas to San Luis Potosi $502, incl. all taxes
- St Louis to Cozumel $379, incl. all taxes
- Fargo to Cancun $551, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to San Luis Potosi $571, incl. all taxes
From the Mailbag: Early Boarding Without Paying for It?
Q: Can you tell us how the group numbers for boarding are assigned? We purchased tickets several months in advance and do an online check-in as soon as allowed, and we still get put in the last boarding group. Is there any way around this without having to pay for the privilege of boarding early?
Additional reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forum today.