Caribbean & Latin America Sale From South Florida
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is back with another of their Caribbean & Latin America sales from South Florida. Outbound travel is valid through March 31, and trips must be completed by April 2. Fares are good for travel Monday through Thursday, and require a 2-day minimum stay, with an allowed maximum stay of 30-days.
All purchases must be made by January 25.
- Miami to Hamilton, Bermuda $438, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Medellin, Colombia $347, incl. all taxes
- Miami to San Pedro Sula, Honduras $214, incl. all taxes
- Miami to St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis $414, incl. all taxes
- Miami to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands $344, incl. all taxes
- Miami to St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles $443, incl. all taxes
Air Jamaica Sale to Montego Bay & Kingston
Air Jamaica's (tel. 800/523-5585; www.airjamaica.com) current sale is valid for travel from January 18 through May 28. Fares must be purchased by January 26 and include:
- Ft Lauderdale to Kingston $291, incl. all taxes
- Ft Lauderdale to Montego Bay $287, incl. all taxes
- Chicago to Montego Bay $363, incl. all taxes
- New York to Montego Bay $337, incl. all taxes
- Philadelphia to Montego Bay $355, incl. all taxes
- New York to Kingston $341, incl. all taxes
New British Air Sale to Europe is Better Than Nothing
As we've been carping about ad nauseum here at your fave airfare tracking site, fares to Europe for winter 2010 travel are higher than we've seen in the past, due in part to capacity reductions and the weak dollar, which is encouraging those pesky Europeans to come visit us, filling up our seats!
So British Airways (tel. 800/247-9297; www.ba.com) has launched a sale with some fares about $100 or so less than they were. Not stellar on all routes, but BA does some of the lowest fares from the west coast to European destinations, such as LA to Madrid $575 round-trip, with taxes. That's hundreds less than some others are charging.
- Los Angeles to Barcelona, Spain $575, incl. all taxes
- Las Vegas to Barcelona, Spain $587, incl. all taxes
- San Francisco to Barcelona, Spain $554, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Amsterdam, Netherlands $706, incl. all taxes
- Las Vegas to Amsterdam, Netherlands $726, incl. all taxes
- San Francisco to Amsterdam, Netherlands $706, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Istanbul, Turkey $859, incl. all taxes
- Las Vegas to Istanbul, Turkey $899, incl. all taxes
- San Francisco to Istanbul, Turkey $859, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Rome, Italy $683, incl. all taxes
- Las Vegas to Rome, Italy $684, incl. all taxes
Compared to what we saw last spring and summer, we look on these fares as being pricey, but maybe this is the new normal. No telling just yet.
Book by January 28, travel by March 28. Lowest fares are typically for travel Monday through Thursday. Other airlines will match this no doubt or even beat it. Save an extra $20 by registering online with British Airways, or an extra $50 if you have the British Airways Chase credit card (obviously, they're trying to get you to book directly with ba.com, so you're better off booking with them than with any of our airfare partners. Now what other airfare listing/alert sites would actually tell you that?!
Spring Sale to Scandinavia on SAS, Summer Biz Class, Too
Oslo, Stockholm, and Copenhagen aren't usually considered budget destinations, and fares are typically on the high side. SAS (tel. 800/221-2350; www.sas.se) has announced a pretty good sale for spring 2010 travel, however, and it's worth a look (we say "pretty good" because we're comparing it to some of the fares we've seen to Stockholm from Newark when Malaysian flew the route for fares in the $300's with tax).
Anyway, this sale is for travel late March to mid May, with tax-included fares from Newark starting at $619 round-trip. Also of note are summer business class fares at rather amazing prices.
A Saturday night stay is required, and you can stay up to 12 months. Change fee is a whopping $300, so beware.
- Newark to Stockholm, Sweden $619, incl. all taxes
- Newark to Copenhagen, Denmark $627, incl. all taxes
- Newark to Stockholm, Sweden $1,857 Business Class,, nonstop, incl. all taxes
How and Where to Sign up for Deal Newsletters & Fare Alerts for Foreign-Based Carriers
More and more, foreign-based airlines are resorting to special "members only" sales and promo codes that can be redeemed only on their web sites. So how do you get wind of these? Well, of course, you can continue to read Airfarewatchdog, where we track them all. Or if you're a DIY kind of person, you can sign up for the airlines' email streams. For some reason, it takes a lot of diggin to find where to sign up on some airlines' web sites, so as a public service (we're all about service after all) we've gathered links to some of the larger international airlines all in one handy dandy chart. Do check it out, and start saving.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart & David Landsel
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forums today.