Alaska to Hawaii on SaleAlaska Airlines' (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) Hawaii Sale is good for travel Monday through Thursdays between June 10 and Aug. 21. All tickets must be purchased by May 11.
Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or all days. Travel between Bellingham or Anchorage and Honolulu must be nonstop. All other sale fares must connect through Anchorage.
Round-trip fares include:
- Anchorage to Honolulu $536, incl. all taxes
- Bellingham to Honolulu $417, incl. all taxes
- Bethel to Honolulu $789, incl. all taxes
- Cordova to Honolulu $713, incl. all taxes
- Fairbanks to Honolulu $596, incl. all taxes
- Juneau to Honolulu $636, incl. all taxes
- Kodiak to Honolulu $644, incl. all taxes
- Sitka to Honolulu $636, incl. all taxes
May Sale from Frontier
Save on May travel with the current sale from Frontier (tel. 800/432-1359; www.frontierairlines.com). Fares are valid for travel 7 days a week through May 25. Tickets require a 7-day advance purchase, and must be booked by 11:59 pm ET, May 18. Sale fares are limited and may not be available on all dates, especially during peak travel.
Round-trip fares include:
- Denver to Las Vegas $108
- Nashville to Kansas City $128
- Milwaukee to Kansas City $128
- Denver to Houston $148
- Denver to Oklahoma City $108
- Salt Lake City to Denver $88
- San Francisco to Denver $208
- Des Moines to Denver $208
- Omaha to Denver $108
Mazatlan on Sale from American Airlines
Save on flights to Mazatlan, Mexico, with the current sale from American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com). Fares are valid for outbound travel from June 9 through Sept. 7. All travel must be completed by Sept. 9. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59pm CT, May 15. A 2-night minimum stay is required.
Other airlines may be matching. Round-trip fares include:
- Albuquerque to Mazatlan $458, incl. all taxes
- Atlanta to Mazatlan $553, incl. all taxes
- Denver to Mazatlan $412, incl. all taxes
- Hartford to Mazatlan $468, incl. all taxes
- Memphis to Mazatlan $460, incl. all taxes
- New York to Mazatlan $468, incl. all taxes
- Wichita to Mazatlan $458, incl. all taxes
For Many Trips This Summer, Flying is Still Cheaper than Driving
Another summer, another gas price hike. It's just like 2008. (But hopefully without all those failing banks!) Before you go sour on the idea of your annual vacation, take a closer look -- higher fuel prices don't always mean that one way of getting there (say, flying) is always better than the other (driving). As airlines continue to raise fares for consumers flying to and from smaller airports, the method of transport that offers the best value differs greatly by route.
So should you drive or fly? Find out.
From the Mailbag: Pack Light, Pay Less
Q: I can't get over all the fees on Spirit Airlines. These taxes and fees are already half of my fare. They even charge you for a carry-on! How can a checked bag cost less then a carry-on? Is there any way to get around paying for carry-ons? And what exactly constitutes a "passenger facility fee?"
A: Read on.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forum today.