China Airlines (tel. 800/227-5118; www.china-airlines.com) has some swell fares from New York to Southeast Asia this fall. Deals to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, and Phnom Penh are valid for outbound travel October 2 through November 30. All tickets must be booked by October 30. Taipei stopovers are allowed for an additional $100 each stop. Want to travel over a weekend? Add a weekend surcharge of $30 each way.
- New York City to Ho Chi Minh City $800, incl. all taxes
- New York City to Hanoi, Vietnam $801, incl. all taxes
Travel to Manila is good from November 1 through November 24. Tickets must be purchased by November 2.
- New York City to Manila, Philippines $737, incl. all taxes
Air Canada Sale through Mid-December
Book by October 9 to take advantage of the latest fall sale from Air Canada (tel. 888/247-2262; www.aircanada.com). Fares are valid for travel through December 13 and require a 14-day advance purchase. Fares include:
- Calgary to Houston $426
- Toronto to Boston $278
- Toronto to Denver $564
- Toronto to Washington, D.C. $282
- Toronto to New York $264
- Toronto to Chicago $268
Central America Sale from American Airlines
The Central America sale from American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is valid any day of the week, for outbound travel by January 9. Fares require a 28-day advanced purchase, as well as a 2-day minimum stay, with a maximum stay of 3 months. Trips must be completed by February 8.
Interested? Purchase your fare by 11:59pm CT, December 12. Fares include:
- Baltimore to Managua, Nicaragua $363, incl. all taxes
- Newark to Managua, Nicaragua $363, incl. all taxes
- Tampa to Managua, Nicaragua $343, incl. all taxes
- Washington DC to Managua, Nicaragua $363, incl. all taxes
- Baltimore to San Pedro Sula, Honduras $328, incl. all taxes
Aloha Adventure Sale from United
Fall schmall. Put away the rake and take off for Hawaii, via United's (tel. 800/241-6522; www.united.com) current Aloha Adventure sale. Travel any day of the week through December 17, except forÂ? blackout dates November 19-22 for westbound flights, and November 27-December 1 for eastbound flights.
Fares require a 14-day advance purchase, as well as a 3-night minimum stay, or a Friday/Saturday night stay, with a maximum stay of 60 days.
Purchase by October 11.
- Denver to Kona $507
- Denver to Lihue $549
- Los Angeles to Lihue $475
- Chicago to Kona $576
- Chicago to Kahului-Maui $568
- San Francisco to Kona $467
- San Francisco to Lihue $467
- San Francisco to Kahului-Maui $461
From American Airlines: Miami to the Bahamas, on Sale
Fly from Miami to the select destinations in the Bahamas for $240 round-trip (before taxes), for travel from November 19 through January 31. Fares are valid for daily travel (depending on flight schedules), minus blackout dates December 18-24, 26-28 from Miami, and January 2-4 to Miami.
All fares require a 3-day advance purchase, and must be booked by December 15.
- Miami to George Town, Bahamas $305, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas $305, incl. all taxes
More info at AA.com.
Southwest Winter Sale
The current sale from Southwest (tel. 800/435-9792; www.southwest.com) is good for travel through February 11, valid every day of the week except Fridays and Sundays. Seats are limited and you'll find the pickings especially slim (or totally unavailable) during peak holiday travel, November 24-December 1, and December 17-January 3.
Tickets require a 14-day advance purchase and must be booked by October 15, 11:59pm Pacific Time.
- Austin to Denver $148
- Boston to San Antonio $168
- Baltimore to Manchester $98
- Cleveland to Milwaukee $150
- Dallas to Minneapolis $138
- Denver to Midland $130
- Jacksonville to New Orleans $160
- Los Angeles to Oakland $98
- New York to San Antonio $212
- Kansas City to New York $208
- Chicago to Kansas City $106
- Phoenix to San Francisco $178
- San Diego to Tucson $98
Seoul Sale from Singapore Airlines
Fly from San Fran to Seoul, South Korea for $580 round-trip, nonstop, including all taxes, as part of a special promo dealio from Singapore Airlines (tel. 800/742-3333; www.singaporeair.com). This offer is good for outbound travel from October 12 through November 20. Travel must be completed by December 31. Sale ends October 24.
- San Francisco to Seoul, South Korea $580, nonstop, incl. taxes
Alaska Airlines Fall/Winter Sale
Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/426-0333; www.alaskaair.com) is having a sale on fall/winter travel, valid October 17 through February 11, on Monday through Thursday, as well as Saturday. Tickets require a 14-day advance purchase. Beware of blackout dates November 20, 21, 25, 28-30, December 18-21, 23, 26-28, and January 2-4.
Sale ends October 15.
- Walla Walla to Oakland $216
- Bellingham to Flagstaff $312
- Burbank to Medford $258
- Eugene to Ontario $248
- Idaho Falls to Los Angeles $316
- Idaho Falls to Pasco $258
- Lewiston to Santa Ana $278
- Prescott to Portland $252
- Yakima to Phoenix $312
- Sacramento to Idaho Falls $278
Upgrading with Miles a Wild Fare Chase?
Using your frequent flyer miles to upgrade can be really confusing, impossible or not worthwhile. Confusing because the airlines have different rules, which seem to change at a whim; impossible because often there are no seats available for upgrading on popular routes, even if you plan months ahead; and not worthwhile because airlines often require that you buy one of their more expensive fares to be eligible and, to add to the insult, now levy expensive co-pays of up to $1,000 round-trip, plus miles, to sit up front (that's in addition to the other frequent flyer fees they charge).
Even so, sometimes the effort is worthwhile. Find out how to make those mileage upgrades a little easier over on our blog.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forum today.