Fare Flash! Key West Sale
Just in time for hurricane season, American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is having an unadvertised sale to and from Key West, FL in what seems to be a fare war against Northwest. But to be fair, you can book seats at these greatly reduced rates clear through the end of June, 2007 (which isn't to say that these deals will stick around until then), so if you want to avoid tropical storms, book after hurricane season. Many of the cities to which fares have been cut are Northwest's hubs. You can travel from now through next June. Click on the links below for further details on these round-trip fares. And of course, the fares work to Key West, not just from Key West.
- Boston, MA (BOS) to Key West, FL (EYW): $314
- Detroit, MI (DTW) to Key West, FL (EYW): $240
- Memphis, TN (MEM) to Key West, FL (EYW): $240
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE) to Key West, FL (EYW): $308
- Minneapolis, MN (MSP) to Key West, FL (EYW): $240
- Washington, DC (IAD) to Key West, FL (EYW): $278
US Air Weekend Fares
Last week, we reported on how US Airways (tel. 800/428-4322; www.usairways.com) has brought back their weekend fares while other airlines are still holding back due to the high demand of summer travel. Well, this week US continues to have a bunch of deals for weekend travel, although we must say that some of the prices are less than amazing. We've listed a sampling of the many available round-trip fares. Click on the links below for more information:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Phoenix, AZ (PHX): $248
- Charlotte, NC (CLT) to Nashville, TN (BNA): $158
- Jacksonville, FL (JAX) to Charlotte, NC (CLT): $158
- Las Vegas, NV (LAS) to Albuquerque, NM (ABQ): $158
- Las Vegas, NV (LAS) to Phoenix, AZ (PHX): $148
- Las Vegas, NV (LAS) to Sacramento, CA (SMF): $218
- Philadelphia, PA (PHL) to Charlottesville, VA (CHO): $148
- Philadelphia, PA (PHL) to Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL): $168
- Philadelphia, PA (PHL) to Syracuse, NY (SYR): $148
- Phoenix, AZ (PHX) to Palm Springs, CA (PSP): $258
- Raleigh, NC (RDU) to Philadelphia, PA (PHL): $158
- Tampa, FL (TPA) to Washington, DC (DCA): $168
- Washington, DC (DCA) to Boston, MA (BOS): $178
Aeromexico (tel. 800/237-6639; www.aeromexico.com) is offering special fares for August and early September travel between the U.S. and Mexico. Here are some sample round-trip fares with taxes and fees:
Depart August 17, Return August 24
- Phoenix to Hermosillo: $358 vs. next lowest $375 on US Airways
- Los Angeles to Guadalajara: $420 vs. $430 on Continental
Depart August 29, Return September 2
- Houston to Mexico City: $274 vs. $315 on Continental
Although most of these sale fares have been matched by at least one other carrier, they're still good deals considering that taxes, which normally run about $100 on Mexican flights, are included. For most roundtrip fares, travel through September 15, 2006. There are also one-way fares available. Book your ticket by August 7, 2006.
Atlanta to Belize, Bermuda, and Nicaragua
Depart August 19 Return August 24
- Atlanta to St Maarten: $457 vs. $428 on American
- Atlanta to Belize City: $558 vs. $363 on American
Depart September 28, October 9
- Atlanta to Bermuda: $495 vs. $437 on US Airways
- Atlanta to Managua, Nicaragua: $649 vs. $471 on Continental
As you can see, other airlines are offering lower fares on these routes, but only Delta offers nonstop flights. Depart through September 30, 2006. Complete travel by October 30, 2006. Book your ticket by August 8, 2006.
Qantas to New Zealand
Qantas Airways (tel. 800/227-4500; www.qantas.com.au) is offering a sale on fares to New Zealand from various U.S. gateways from late summer travel. Below are some sample fares including all taxes and fees:
Depart August 10, Return August 21
- Phoenix to Auckland: $1,091 vs. $1,200 on United
- Los Angeles to Wellington: $1,086 vs. $1,122 on United
Depart August 18, August 30
- Dallas to Auckland: $1,371 vs. $1,336 on United
- San Francisco to Christchurch: $1,288 vs. $1,357 on United
In our humble opinion, this Qantas sale is nothing to jump up and down like a kangaroo about, but you might end up saving a few bucks here and there. United is closely following all of these fares. Travel through August 31, 2006. Purchase your ticket by August 11, 2006.
BMI Business Class to Manchester
BMI (tel. 800/788-0555; www.flybmi.com) has announced a business class sale on its two nonstop routes to Manchester, England from Chicago and Las Vegas and on to other connecting destinations. However it is very difficult to find seats at the advertised fare on the Las Vegas route. Below are some sample fares including all taxes and fees:
Depart August 13, Return August 22
- Chicago to Manchester: $2,463 vs. $2,496 on US Airways
- Las Vegas to Manchester: $2,693 vs. $2,189 on US Airways
Clearly, US Airways has matched or even beaten BMI's promotional fares. However remember that BMI offers nonstop service whereas US Airways may require two connections and in any case, these fares are pretty darn good for business class. Travel August 7, 2006 through August 31, 2006. Book your ticket by August 31, 2006.
Cathay Celebrates 60 Years
Cathay Pacific (tel. 800/233-2742; www.cathay-usa.com) is celebrating its 60th Anniversary with special fares to various Asian destinations from its U.S. gateways. You can travel in September to Hong Kong, Colombo, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, or Taipei. Below are some sample fares including all taxes and fees, as harvested from Travelocity:
Depart September 13, Return September 20
- Los Angeles to Hong Kong: $810 vs. $780 on China Airlines
- New York to Colombo: $1,288 vs. $1,375 on Emirates
Depart September 18, Return September 26
- Los Angeles to Ho Chi Min City: $930 vs. $935 on China Airlines
- San Francisco to Taipei: $860 vs. $767 on China Airlines
As you can see, China Airlines has matched and beaten most of these fares, at least via Travelocity.com. Travel Monday through Thursday between September 1, 2006 and September 30, 2006 for the lowest fares. For other days of the week, it is $50 additional. Depart from Los Angeles or San Francisco. Departure from New York is $50 additional. Purchase your ticket by August 31, 2006.
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and other fare sales.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.