Last-Minute Travel to Paris
If you can pack your bags and leave for Paris in the next seven days, Air France (tel. 800/237-2747; www.airfrance.us) is having a very good last-minute sale from several U.S. gateways: Boston, Chicago O'Hare, Detroit, Miami, New York JFK and Washington, D.C. Dulles. You have until March 31 to depart and you'll need a 7-day advance purchase, which means you only have 4 departure days. Here are some sample itineraries to Paris with all taxes and fees included:
Depart March 28, return April 4:
- New York JFK: $402 vs. $415 on Alitalia
- Washington, D.C. Dulles: $425 non-stop vs. $436 on American (not only do you have to change planes in New York, but you'll have to find your way from LaGuardia to JFK)
Depart March 29, return April 5:
- Boston: $504 non-stop vs. next lowest $478 on American (change planes in New York, and you'll have to transfer from Newark to JFK)
- Detroit: $502 non-stop vs. $514 on American (change planes in New York, and you'll have to transfer from LaGuardia to JFK)
There is still some availability, but if you want seats then you better jump on it quick, since they very limited! Happily, Air France's Web site has a flexible date search that displays fares three days before and after your dates of choice, making the search for these elusive seats somewhat easier. Sunday night minimum stay, and one month maximum stay. Tickets must be purchased by March 24, 2006.
Unadvertised Sale to Buenos Aires on United
From Airfarewatchdog's Top 30 fares page: United (tel. 800/241-6522; www.united.com) seems to be in a fare spat situation with Continental, offering $424 round-trip plus tax fares from Continental's Newark, Cleveland, and Houston hubs to Buenos Aires, Argentina for travel through May 31. You have to hunt and peck for dates when the fare is available, but it might be worth it since some airlines are charging twice that much. Continental is offering a relatively cheap $787 round-trip fare from Denver to BA. This is an unadvertised fare war, and hopefully these fares will still be around by the time you read this.
Cheap Last-Minute Deals and Student Discounts to South America
LAN (tel. 866/435-9526; www.lan.com) is having a great last-minute deal to Bogota and Punta Cana from Miami. There are a very select few dates in March that you have to play with, but if you're able to drop your bags and go, it'll save you some moolah. For example (round-trip, taxes and fees included):
- Miami to Bogota: $372 vs. a next lowest of $397 (depart April 4, return April 13)
- Miami to Punta Cana: $318 vs. a next lowest $335 (depart March 25, return April 1)
There are no specifics on when you must purchase this sale by.
LAN is also offering a 15 percent discount for students traveling to Bogota, Lima, Quito or Guayaquil from Miami. To qualify for this discount, travel between April 1 and May 31, and present a valid student picture ID at check-in. This offer is also valid for unaccompanied minors.
Free Companion Fare to London on Business Class
Eos Airlines (tel. 888/357-3677; www.eosairlines.com), a carrier only offering discount business class seats between New York's JFK and London's Stansted, is currently offering a free companion ticket when you purchase a round-trip ticket before April 28, 2006, for travel before December 31, 2006. In addition, you'll earn $800 worth of travel awards (80,000 points earned in Eos Club 48) good for travel purchases on any airline with no blackout dates. If you call, make sure to mention their 2 for 1 email offer. And there is still time to get in on MaxJet's $750 with taxes business class fares from New York JFK to London Stansted, mentioned in a column last week. Their sale ends on March 27.
Ten Percent Discount to Ireland
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is offering a 10 percent discount when you purchase a round-trip ticket on aa.com to Dublin or Shannon. To receive the discount, use discount code RRK6KJ58G3BH. This code can be used for up to six passengers, and is valid for tickets purchased before March 31, 200,6 for travel through May 15, 2006. This discount works for flights from the following cities only: Austin, Boston, Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City, Newark, Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, San Francisco and D.C.'s Reagan National and is valid for all published fares booked in G, H, K, L, M, N, S, V or W class.
Spirit Sale for April Flights
Spirit Airlines (tel. 800/772-7117; www.spiritair.com) is having a Syber Special for travel in April with fares starting at $88 round-trip on very select dates. Here are round-trip fares we found, poking around Spirit's site:
- Ft Lauderdale/St. Thomas: $202 non-stop vs. $229 on American with a plane change (depart April 3, return April 10)
- Detroit/Cancun: $247 vs. $309 also on Northwest and Spirit through Travelocity (depart April 5, return April 12)
- Atlantic City/Orlando: $157 vs. $217 on Spirit via Travelocity (depart April 4, return April 11)
- New York LaGuardia/Nassau: $160 vs. $221 on United or $229 on Spirit via Travelocity (depart April 3, return April 10)
Don't dawdle on this sale. Tickets must be purchased by March 22, 2006, 11:59PM EST.
India from $1,047 Round-Trip
Cathay Pacific (tel. 800/233-2742; www.cathaypacific.com) is having a sale from Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco to Delhi or Mumbai. This deal is good value from Los Angeles or San Francisco (providing you're able to find seats), but from New York other airlines have better deals. A sample of round-trip fares with taxes and fees included.
- Los Angeles to Delhi: $1,114 vs. $1,248 on Continental (depart April 26, return May 3)
- Los Angeles to Mumbai: $1,114 vs. $1,304 on Air India (depart April 26, return May 4)
- San Francisco to Delhi: $1,114 vs. $1,248 Continental (depart April 27, return May 3)
- San Francisco to Mumbai: $1,114 vs. $1,642 British Airways (depart April 4, return April 10)
- New York JFK to Delhi: $1,748 vs. $1,039 on American and Virgin Atlantic (depart April 26, return May 3)
- New York JFK to Mumbai: $1,748 vs. $1,069 on Air India (depart April 24, return May 4)
These fares also include a free stopover in Hong Kong (you'll only pay the additional airport fees). There are still seats available, but it looks like the middle of April is mostly sold out, so you'll have to travel in the next couple of weeks or towards the end of April. Depart through April 30, 2006, with no minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay. Tickets must be purchased by March 31, 2006.
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and other fare sales.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.