$24.99 Inter-Island Flights on Hawaiian Air
Heading to Hawaii next month? Sign up for HawaiianMiles from Hawaiian Airlines (tel. 800/367-5320; www.hawaiianair.com) for $24.99 inter-island flights. Book by September 30 for travel between September 1 and September 30. These $24.99 promo fares are applicable to one-way routing in coach class, and include taxes. Discounted fares apply for up to seven passengers per booking and are good for travel between Honolulu and Lihue, Hilo, Kona, Kahului.
EVA Airway's Fall Sale: Seattle to Southeast Asia
Fly from Seattle to Southeast Asia this fall, as part of EVA Airway's (tel. 800/695-1188; www.evaair.com) current sale. Fares are valid on weekdays, for outbound travel through November 30, with a two-month maximum stay.
All fares must be purchased by August 30 and include:
- Seattle to Jakarta, Indonesia $871, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Bali, Indonesia $871, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Hangzhou, China $810, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia $917, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Macau, China $720, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Manila, PhilippinesÂ $656, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Phnom Penh, Cambodia $766, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Singapore, Singapore $891, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Surabaya, Indonesia $871, incl. all taxes
Virgin America: New Sale & New Baggage Fee
The ever-popular Virgin America (tel. 877/359-8474; www.virginamerica.com) has a new sale for fall/winter, for travel from August 28 through November 18, and again from December 2 to December 16, and January 6 through February 10. Fares require a 3-day advance purchase, and all bookings must be made by September 8.
- San Francisco to Las Vegas $98
- Washington DC to Los Angeles $218
- Boston to Los Angeles $218
- Seattle to Los Angeles $138
In other Virgin America news, they've upped baggage fees from $15 to $20 per checked bag. Passengers may check up to 10 bags at $20 each. The first checked bag may weigh up to 70lbs while bags 1-10 may weigh up to 50lbs each.
Icelandair Fares to Reykjavik
Technically, the Icelandair (tel. 800/223-5500; www.icelandair.is) sale expired earlier in the week, but you can still score a great fare to Reykjavik for fall. For Minneapolis and Seattle departures, check out fares for early fall (September/October). For Boston and New York, we poked around the calendar and found lower fares for travel the following month, in November/December. Take a look:
- Boston to Reykjavik, Iceland $399, incl. all taxes
- New York to Reykjavik, Iceland $399, incl. all taxes
- Seattle to Reykjavik, Iceland $643, incl. all taxes
- Minneapolis to Reykjavik, Iceland $543, incl. all taxes
New Service Alerts from Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air
Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/547-9308; www.alaskaair.com) is beefing up service for fall with the addition of three new routes. Starting November 16, Alaska will begin daily nonstop service between Chicago and Portland. This comes at a special introductory fare of $99 one-way, available through January 31, with blackout dates November 20, 21, 25, 28-30, December 18-21, 23, 26-28, and January 2-4. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members will also receive double miles along this route.
And starting August 23, Horizon Air will fly nonstop from Redding with daily direct service from Arcata/Eureka to Seattle, also with an introductory fare of $99 one-way for travel through December 16.
How to Get a Particular Seat Without Paying a Fee
More and more lately, it seems like airlines are charging a fee for advance seat assignments. Is it possible to skirt the fee and still grab the seat you want? And what if your desired seat happens to be the very back of the plane, where no one else wants to be? Find out.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forum today.