United's Major Fall Sale
United Airlines (tel. 800/864-8331; www.united.com) is having a major sale for autumn travel on most of its routes. Fares range from $178 round-trip to $238 round-trip on most routes. This isn't quite a systemwide sale, and the fares are heavily concentrated (surprise, surprise) in Delta's hubs of Cincinnati and Salt Lake City, although there are lots of deals out of United's own Chicago and Denver hubs and many other cities are covered as well. Below are some sample round-trip fares without taxes and fees:
- Chicago to Denver: $158
- Chicago to Dayton: $178
- Denver to Memphis: $238
- Des Moines to Chicago: $178
- Kansas City to Cincinnati: $238
- Minneapolis to Chicago: $98
- New York to Detroit: $178
- San Francisco to Vail, CO: $238
- Washington to Ft Wayne, IN: $178
Travel at the lowest fares is on Tuesday and Wednesday between August 22, 2006, and November 15, 2006. Travel other days is generally $30-$40 higher round-trip. There is a 14-day advance purchase and a Saturday night stay requirement. Last day to purchase is August 18, 2006 and we'd be surprised if other airlines haven't matched by the time you read this.
Two-day Atlanta Sale
AirTran (tel. 800/247-8726; www.airtran.com) is having a two day sale on flights to and from its Atlanta hub with fares starting as low as $49 one-way (round-trip purchase not required). Here are some sample one-way fares before taxes and fees:
- Chicago to/from Atlanta: $74
- Detroit to/from Atlanta: $74
- Ft Lauderdale to/from Atlanta: $69
- Jacksonville to/from Atlanta: $59
- Kansas City to/from Atlanta: $74
- Pensacola, FL to/from Atlanta: $49
- Philadelphia to/from Atlanta: $64
For the lowest fares, travel through November 16, 2006. Fares are not valid on Fridays or Sundays. A 7-day advance purchase is required. Tickets must be purchased on www.airtran.com/sale/ by 11:59 PM EST on August 9, 2006. We expect other airlines to match this sale on many routes, although they may require a round-trip purchase. These fares can only be purchased online.
United's Escape to Europe Sale
Depart September 12, Return September 27
- Cleveland to Brussels: $750 vs. $666 on American
- San Francisco to Munich: $884 vs. next lowest $903 on American
Depart October 2, Return October 14
- Indianapolis to Amsterdam: $797 vs. $780 on Northwest
- Pittsburgh to London: $657 vs. $621 on US Airways
As you can see, most of these fares are being matched by other airlines. Depart September 11, 2006 through October 31, 2006 and complete travel by November 30, 2006. There is a Saturday night stay requirement. Purchase your ticket by August 10, 2006 with a 30-day advance purchase requirement.
Sale to New Zealand
Air New Zealand (tel. 800/262-1234; www.airnewzealand.com) is offering discounted fares to New Zealand from the West Coast. These fares are valid now through September 30 so there is still time to plan a last minute summer trip. Below are some sample fares including taxes and fees:
Depart August 22, Return September 6
- Los Angeles to Christchurch: $1,022 vs. next lowest $1,124 on Qantas
- San Francisco to Auckland: $1,032 vs. $1,071 on Qantas
Depart September 13, Return September 24
- Los Angeles to Auckland: $972 vs. $1,003 on Qantas
- San Francisco to Wellington: $1,082 vs. 1,311 in Qantas
As you can see Air New Zealand has the lowest fares on all of these routes. Depart by September 30, 2006. Book your ticket by August 14, 2006.
20 Percent Off Select Alaska Airlines Flights
Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/252-7522; www.alaskaair.com) is offering a 20 percent discount on flights between California and Canada. To receive the discount, enter e-certificate code EC04406 when making reservations at www.alaskaair.com. Travel between September 6, 2006 and November 15, 2006. This offer expires August 13, 2006. And you can book only on Alaska's website.
New York to Brussels, Germany, & Moscow
Depart October 19, Return October 26
- New York to Berlin: $591 vs. $555 on American
- New York to Moscow: $675 vs. $678 on Altalia
Depart September 24, Return October
- New York to Brussels: $700 vs. $582 on American
- New York to Frankfurt: $548 vs. $589 on American
As you can see, most of Delta's fares have matched and beaten by other carriers. Travel Mondays through Thursdays. Other days have higher fares. Depart between September 11, 2006 through October 31, 2006 and complete travel by November 30, 2006. Book your ticket by August 10, 2006.
Korean Air in Las Vegas
Korean Air (tel. 800/438-5000; www.koreanair.com) is launching new non-stop service between Las Vegas and Seoul. Below are some sample fares including taxes and fees. Comparisons were found using Orbitz.com.
Depart September 25, Return October 10
- Las Vegas to Manila: $819 vs. $877 on China Airlines
- Las Vegas to Seoul: $961 vs. $986 on EVA
Depart September 27, Return October 13
- Las Vegas to Beijing: $855 vs. $924 on United
- Las Vegas to Seoul: $961 vs. $942 on United/Asiana
As you can see these are very good introductory fares. Service does not operate daily. Depart on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Return on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Travel outbound between September 23, 2006 and September 27, 2006. Purchase your tickets by August 31, 2006.
Additional Reporting by David Shan
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and other fare sales.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.