Fall Fares to France
It may seem a little premature, but, looking around all the new international fares springing up for September and October, we can't help but feel a tinge of excitement for fall. The crowds thin, the heat tapers, and -- the best part -- fares drop. It's the smartest time to travel! Sure, sure, the latest crop of fares don't even come close to some of those everything-must-go bargain-basement deals we've seen in the past, but hey, it's a definite improvement on summer prices.
First up, Iberia (tel.800/772-4642; www.iberia.com) has some great fares from New York to various French destinations, including:
- New York to Bordeaux for $751, incl. all taxes
- New York to Clermont Ferrand $755, incl. all taxes
- New York to Lyon $755, incl. all taxes
- New York to Marseille $749, incl. all taxes
- New York to Montpellier $783, incl. all taxes
- New York to Nice $752, incl. all taxes
- New York to Paris $757, incl. all taxes
- New York to Toulouse $752 round-trip $752, incl. all taxes
ATTN Families: EuroFly Sale
EuroFly (tel. 800/459-0581; www.euroflyusa.com), the low-cost airline flying between New York JFK and Italy, is offering discounts for August travel if there are 2 to 4 passengers traveling together.
Four people pay a total of $3,439 plus about $90 per passenger in taxes, or $2,679 for three. Destinations include Rome, Naples, Bologna, Pescara, Palermo, Lamezia and Bari. To book, visit their site.
London Fall Fare Round-up
Been waiting and waiting for a particular destination in Europe to go on sale, but not having much luck? Fly into London and try your luck on one of the UK's many budget airlines like (www.ryanair.com) RyanAir or EasyJet (www.easyjet.com). Chances are they fly to or near wherever it is you're looking to go. And of course, there's always the option of actually -- you know - staying in London, which, for the budget-minded traveler, seems like less and less of an option these days. But hey, double your spending, double your pleasure, if your wallet says it's okay!
- Atlanta to London $743, incl. all taxes, on Brussels Airlines
- Baltimore to London $642, incl. all taxes, on British Airways
- Chicago to London $518, incl. all taxes, on Brussels Airlines
- Cleveland to London $724, incl. all taxes, on BMI
- Detroit to London $687, incl. all taxes, on BMI
- Houston to London $638, incl. all taxes, on Continental
- New York to London $614, incl. all taxes, on Air India
- Philadelphia to London $642, incl. all taxes, on British Airways
- Washington DC to London $642, incl. all taxes, on Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, and United
- San Diego to London $798, incl. all taxes, on Zoom Airlines
China Airlines: L.A. to Vietnam & India
For those shuffling between Hollywood and Bollywood this summer, China Airlines (tel. 800/227-5118; www.china-airlines.com) has just the sale for you. Los Angeles to Delhi is $1,325 round-trip for outbound travel between July 12 and August 15.
China Airlines also has some great deals from Los Angeles to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, starting at $935, good for travel in late summer/fall.
Both of these web promos are available only through China-Airlines.com. Fares with taxes include:
- Los Angeles to Delhi, India $1,482, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Hanoi, Vietnam $1,026, incl. all taxes
- Los Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam $1,181, incl. all taxes
Youll Find Cheaper Fares for Travel After Labor Day and Before October 30
Even with the airlines losing zillions, they're still publishing some ridiculously cheap domestic fares. A recent Fare of the Day, for example, was Dayton to San Francisco for $212 RT including tax. But like many cheap fares, this one was essentially sold out for most of the summer. The really cheap fares are only available on most airlines, domestically, from after Labor Day through October. And Tuesday and Wednesday, as always, are the cheapest days of the week to travel (that's because most business travelers begin their trips on Monday and return Thursday or Friday, and most leisure travelers leave on Friday and return Sunday or Monday).
That said, we've seen a number of super deals on US Airways for scattered dates in July and August. But you must use a flexible date search to find them. Southwest has been playing around with unadvertised sale fares, too, especially for Tue/Wed travel in October. Try their flexible date feature to find deals.
American's $15 First Bag Fee
So, how's it going over at American Airlines in the post free checked bag era? Airfarewatchdog.com interviewed American spokesperson Tim Smith to get the inside scoop. Read On...
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart, Bo Borre, and David Landsel
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.