New Schedules, New Routes at Skybus
The folks at Skybus (no telephone, no kidding; www.skybus.com) got a jump on their spring-cleaning this week, tossing out a few old routes and adding brand new ones. Among the new, there's New York (Newburgh) to Boston (Portsmouth), as well as Hartford (Springfield) to Ft. Myers (Punta Gorda) and St. Augustine, and Richmond to St. Augustine. Look for these new routes begin June 1.
And the bad news: Heart-shaped tub enthusiast hoping to hitch a cheap ride to Niagara Falls will have to choose another carrier, as this route has been dumped. And speaking of choo-choos, Chattanooga is also getting a boot to the caboose. Schedules have also been slimmed down in Columbus, with just one daily flight to Ft Myers, Chicago, and Philadelphia.
April Deals on Midwest
Purchase your ticket by March 24 and save on April travel on Midwest Airlines (tel. 800/452-2022; www.midwestairlines.com). We've found some great round-trip deals on this sale, including:
- Atlanta to Milwaukee $174
- Appleton to Orlando $174
- Washington DC to Grand Rapids $194
- Denver to Green Bay $204
- Des Moines to Tampa $174
- Flint to Raleigh/Durham $184
- Green Bay to Orlando $174
- Las Vegas to Muskegon $215
- Los Angeles to Appleton $215
- Orlando to Milwaukee $164
- Tampa to Wassau/Mosinee $174
More Bangkok for your Sad Little Buck
We've found some great deals on spring travel to Bangkok recently, for almost half less than the prevailing rates from some cities. It's like getting a two-fer for you and your Siamese twin (or spouse, or cousin, mother, or brother). Most of these fares are on American Airlines (tel. 800-433-7300; www.aa.com), although we've found a few from Continental as well. Round-trip fares include:
- Atlanta to Bangkok $972, incl. all taxes
- Boston to Bangkok $900, incl. all taxes
- Chicago to Bangkok $933, incl. all taxes
- Dallas to Bangkok $918, incl. all taxes
- Denver to Bangkok $927, incl. all taxes
- Detroit to Bangkok $897, incl. all taxes
- Houston to Bangkok $912, incl. all taxes
- Miami to Bangkok $951, incl. all taxes
- New York to Bangkok $893, incl. all taxes
- Newark to Bangkok $947, incl. all taxes
- Philadelphia to Bangkok $928, incl. all taxes
- Washington DC to Bangkok $907, incl. all taxes
No doubt these will go fast, so if you're even slightly interested we suggest you pounce somewhat quickly.
In answer to that age-old question posed by carnivores everywhere, Seoul is where the beef is. For those of you who like your meat red, rare, thinly sliced and lightly seared, just think of Seoul as one big hibachi with a serious side order of kimchi as a potent sidekick.
We've found some smoking round-trip fares that should get you all fired up and rarin' to go.
- Atlanta to Seoul $880, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Baltimore to Seoul $800, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Boston to Seoul $826, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Chicago to Seoul $813, incl. all taxes, on American
- Dallas to Seoul $886, incl. all taxes, on United
- Denver to Seoul $813, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- Detroit to Seoul $806, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- Ft Lauderdale to Seoul $826, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Houston to Seoul $871, incl. all taxes, on Continental, as well as United
- Los Angeles to Seoul $776, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- Miami to Seoul $826, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Minneapolis to Seoul $764, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- New York to Seoul $858, incl. all taxes, on Northwest, as well as United
- Newark to Seoul $835, incl. all taxes, on Delta
- Portland OR to Seoul $658, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- San Francisco to Seoul $765, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- Seattle to Seoul $756, incl. all taxes, on Northwest
- Washington DC to Seoul $839, incl. all taxes on Northwest
Latin America Sale from AA
American Airlines (tel. 800-433-7300; www.aa.com) has introduced a new sale to Latin America, and while it's certainly not their best work, you can still salvage a deal here and there, namely to San Jose, Guatemala City, Belize City, San Pedro Sula and a few others. Still, we'd advise checking Orbitz and elsewhere for a better deal before settling here, especially if you're departing from a major hub. Anyhoo, round-trip fares (before tax) include:
- Austin to Guatemala City, Guatemala $486
- Baltimore to San Jose, Costa Rica $248
- Dallas to Belize City $519
- Detroit to San Jose, Costa Rica $248
- Miami to San Pedro Sula, Honduras $228
- Washington DC to San Pedro Sula, Honduras $248
- New York to Guatemala City, Guatemala $248
- Las Vegas to Belize City, Belize $488
- Oklahoma City to Guatemala City, Guatemala $486
- Chicago to San Jose, Costa Rica $248
- Pittsburgh to Belize City, Belize $443
- San Diego to Panama City, Panama $529
- Seattle to San Salvador, El Salvador $523
These fares are good for travel from April 1 through June 10, and all purchases must be made by March 28.
Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner. But Should They?
Remember the hullabaloo last summer when a mother and her 19-month old son were booted from their flight, all because the child kept repeating "Bye bye plane, bye bye plane, bye bye plane..." over and over and over again? Well, obviously that was poorly handled by the crew. And kicking parent and child off the flight is beyond excessive. But the truth is, we've probably all felt a little split second pang of uh-oh, upon realizing we've been seated near a child. And the experience can be even more stressful for parents, who hope their child will behave, sit tight, and avoid the scorn of fellow passengers and crew. Is a reserved parent-child seating section the way to go? We've heard the idea tossed around before, but what do you think? Should airlines have a section of the plane reserved for parents and young children/babies? Take a moment and click on over to our multiple choice (http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/ReaderSurvey/tabid/73/Default.aspx" target="_blank"> survery and let us know!
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart & Bo Borre
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.