United Fall Sale
- Chicago (ORD) to/from Nashville: $98
- Chicago (ORD) to/from Indianapolis: $78
- Dallas to/from Manchester, NH: $198
- San Diego to/from Las Vegas: $98
- Los Angeles to/from Seattle: $198
Travel any day through December 20, 2006. Some of these fares are being matched by other airlines through January 9, 2007. A 21-day advance purchase is required.
New York or Washington to London in Business Class, $999 RT
Maxjet (tel. 888/435-9629; www.maxjet.com) is having a sale to celebrate its first anniversary, or maybe because they need to fill seats, who knows? Anyway, it's a great deal. Fly from either JFK or Washington-Dulles to London-Stansted for $999 round-trip including all taxes and fees. Use promo code ANNV06 when booking on their site. Although Maxjet isn't as luxurious as its chief all-business competitor EOS, it's a lot less expensive and a darned site better than flying coach, and at these prices, it's not that much more than an economy ticket when you add the taxes and fees. Book before midnight October 1 for travel November 1, 2006 to February 28, 2007.
Midwest Airlines Sale
Midwest Airlines (tel. 800/452-2022; www.midwestairlines.com) has discounted fares for winter travel. And of course, besides the fares, there are those yummy baked-on-board cookies, surprisingly good meals, and two-by-two leather seating on many Midwest Airlines flights. Here are some sample fares before taxes and fees:
- Dayton to/from Minneapolis: $198
- Flint to/from Milwaukee: $168
- Grand Rapids to/from Minneapolis: $188
- Green Bay, WI to/from Kansas City: $188
- Kansas City to/from Minneapolis: $188
- Milwaukee to/from Minneapolis: $168
- Nashville to/from Milwaukee: $168
- Omaha to/from Minneapolis: $188
- St Louis to/from Milwaukee: $168
Travel through February 13, 2007. Purchase your ticket by September 22, 2006 with a 14-day advance purchase requirement.
Jetblue to Cancun
Jetblue Airways (tel. 800/538-2583; www.jetblue.com) is starting new service to Cancun, Mexico with low introductory fares of $142 one-way including tax. These fares are only valid for a short travel period so seats are difficult to find on some routes, but fares won't go up much after the intro period. Below are some sample fares including taxes and fees:
Depart December 4, Return December 8
- New York to Cancun: $288 with Continental matching nonstop from Newark
New nonstop service between New York JFK and Cancun begins on November 30. Add on fares are available from other JetBlue cities. A 14-day advance purchase is required. Travel any day through December 15, 2006. Purchase your ticket by September 28, 2006.
Great Fares to Sydney and Auckland
Air Tahiti Nui (tel. 877/824-4846; www.airtahitinui-usa.com) has launched a sale from New York's JFK to Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand. Here are some sample fares including taxes and fees:
Depart September 29, Return October 6
- New York to Sydney: $1,000 vs. $1,567 on Qantas via Orbitz
- New York to Auckland: $872 vs. $1,482 on Qantas
Depart November 6, Return November 17
- New York to Sydney: $1,025 vs. $1,416 on Qantas
- New York to Auckland: $872 vs. $1,321 on Qantas
As you can see these are very good fares for travel down under. Travel September 18, 2006 through December 8, 2006. Even better, a free stopover in Tahiti can be included at no additional cost other than taxes. Purchase your ticket by September 26, 2006.
20 Percent off Select Alaska Airlines Flights
Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/252-7522; www.alaskaair.com) is offering a 20 percent discount on flights between Alaska and Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, or San Jose, or between those cities and the airline's Alaskan airports. As is the usual case with Alaska's online sales, these are the best fares you'll find and they're only available on the Alaska Airlines website, nowhere else. Travel between October 4, 2006 and December 20, 2006. For more details including the blackout dates, click here. To receive the discount, enter e-certificate code EC05006. This offer expires September 24, 2006.
SAA Nonstop Sale to South Africa
South African Airways (tel. 800/722-5000; www.flysaa.com) has discounted its fares for autumn travel. The airline operates nonstop flights to Johannesburg from New York-JFK and Washington-Dulles. Below are some sample fares including taxes and fees. As you can see, the fares from New York are quite good, and even if they're being matched by other airlines, you'd be silly to fly any other way than nonstop. Comparisons were made using www.orbitz.com.
Depart October 10, Return October 19
- New York to Capetown: $1,245 vs. $1,612 on Emirates with a connection in Dubai
- New York to Johannesburg: $1,210 with Iberia matching
Depart November 15, Return November 28
- Washington Dulles to Capetown: $1,246 vs. $1,204 in United
- Washington Dulles to Johannesburg: $1,213 vs. $1,196 on United
Travel October 7, 2006 through November 30, 2006.
Kingston, Managua, and San Pedro Sula
Depart September 24, Return October 2
- Atlanta to Kingston, Jamaica: $355 vs. $371 on American
- Atlanta to San Pedro Sula, Honduras: $492 vs. $499 on America
Depart November 6, Return November 15
- Atlanta to Managua, Nicaragua: $606 vs. 638 on American
Even though most of these fares have been matched by American, Delta flies nonstop to all three of these destinations. Depart between September 13, 2006 and November 15, 2006. All travel must be completed by December 15, 2006. Purchase your tickets by September 26, 2006.
Additional reporting by David Shan.
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and other fare sales.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.