System-Wide Sale from Airtran
AirTran (tel. 800/247-8726; www.airtran.com) is having another big sale covering all their destinations, with fares starting as low as $39 one-way (round-trip purchase not required). The discount airlines are slowly raising their fares, but these are still good deals. Other airlines haven't matched these fares on all routes at the time we write this, but may do so by the time you read.
Sample one-way fares before taxes and fees:
As is often the case, the long-haul one-way fares aren't as good value since other airlines are beating Airtran. For example:
- Milwaukee to/from Denver: $119 one-way vs. $90 one-way on Continental with round-trip purchase
- Pittsburgh to/from Las Vegas: $169 one-way vs. $99 one-way on United with round-trip purchase
For the lowest fares, travel Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday through February 1, 2007. Fares are higher on other days, and this sale doesn't apply to Friday or Sunday travel. A 10-day advance purchase is required. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59 PM EST on September 19, 2006. We expect other airlines to match this sale on many routes, although they may require a round-trip purchase.
Internet-Only Specials via Southwest
- Albuquerque to/from Sacramento: $109
- Baltimore to/from Denver: $99
- Chicago to/from St. Louis: $49
- Dallas to/from New Orleans: $59
- Los Angeles to/from Detroit: $109
- Orlando to/from Indianapolis: $69
- Seattle to/from Salt Lake City: $79
These are very low fares, most of which have already been matched by other airlines. Travel between September 8-30, 2006. Purchase your ticket by September 7, 2006. There is a 7-day advance purchase requirement. These fares are only available on Southwest.com.
Delta Air lines (tel. 800/221-1212; www.delta.com) is celebrating the introduction of new nonstop service between New York JFK and London Gatwick. These fares are very low especially the ones for business class. Other airlines have responded to this sale by matching the fares and are retaliating on the Atlanta to London route. Below are some sample fares including all taxes and fees:
Depart November 24, Return December 11
- New York to London: $303 with Continental matching from Newark
- Business Class: $1,141 with Continental from Newark and British Airways matching
Depart February 7, Return February 12
- Atlanta to London (Business Class): $1,369 vs. $1,271 on British Airways
Begin travel between November 15, 2006, and March 21, 2007. Complete all travel by April 20, 2007. Blackout dates are December 15, 2006, through January 7, 2007. Purchase your ticket by September 12, 2006.
Midwest Airlines Promotion
Midwest Airlines (tel. 800/452-2022; www.midwestairlines.com) has discounted fares for fall and winter travel when you book a ticket 21 days in advance. However many of their sale fares aren't the lowest available. Below we have listed some of the good round-trip fares including taxes and fees:
- Milwaukee to/from Minneapolis: $168
- Boston to/from Milwaukee: $188
- Philadelphia to/from Milwaukee: $188
- Boston to/from Kansas City: $188
Travel Monday through Saturday; slightly higher fares apply for travel on Sunday. Tickets must be purchased at least 21 days in advance. These fares may disappear at any moment without notice
Take 20% Off Select Alaska Airlines Flights
Alaska Airlines (tel. 800/252-7522; www.alaskaair.com) is offering a 20 percent discount on flights between Southern California and Montana or Idaho. To receive the discount, enter e-certificate code EC04806 when making reservations at Alaskaair.com. Travel between September 27, 2006, and December 20, 2006. This offer expires September 10, 2006.
AA to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica
American Airlines (tel. 800/433-7300; www.aa.com) is offering a sale on travel to the Dominican Republic and Kingston, Jamaica. Below are some sample fares including taxes and fees, found on Travelocity.com:
Depart September 14, Return September 28
- Chicago to La Romana, DR: $549 vs. $745 on Continental
- Ft. Lauderdale to Santo Domingo, DR: $280 vs. $387 on Spirit
Depart October 15, Return October 23
- Miami to Santiago, DR: $276 vs. $439 on Delta via Orbitz
- New York to Kingston: $318 vs. $422 on Air Jamaica
As you can see, these are very good fares. Travel Monday through Thursday by December 13, 2006. There is a 2 day minimum stay requirement. Purchase your ticket by September 8, 2006.
September Deal of the Month for Asia from Cathay
Cathy Pacific (tel. 800/233-2742; www.cathayusa.com) has discounted fares to Hong Kong, Colombo, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City or Taipei for its deal of the month. Below are some sample fares including all taxes and fees:
Depart November 3, Return November 10
- Los Angeles to Colombo: $1,238 vs. next lowest $1,504 on EVA
- New York to Hong Kong: $910 vs. $963 on China Airlines
Depart November 12, Return November 21
- Los Angeles to Manila: $855 vs. $1,101 on Philippine Airlines
- San Francisco to Ho Chi Minh City: $955 vs. $881 on Philippine Airlines via Orbitz
Depart November 20, Return November 29
- San Francisco to Hong Kong: $810 vs. $794 on China Airlines
- New York to Taipei $940: vs. $1,003 on EVA via Orbitz
Depart between November 1, 2006, and November 30, 2006 from Los Angeles or San Francisco. Departure from New York is $50 additional. Purchase your ticket by September 30, 2006, and we suggest using Cathay's own website. For the Los Angeles to Manila fare, for example, Orbitz.com was charging $961 round-trip with taxes compared to Cathayusa.com's $855, a significant difference.
Additional reporting by David Shan.
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and other fare sales.
Talk with fellow Frommer's readers on our Air Travel Message Boards today.