Sail the Surf, Star or Spirit for a Song
For as low as $1,495 per person, Windstar Cruises (tel. 800/258-7245; www.windstarcruises.com) is offering 7-night cruises in Europe and the Caribbean this summer and fall. These yachty ships have high-tech controls that can unfurl the sails in seconds, with or without the engines engaged. Cushy in a relaxed way, these small ships carry just 148 to 308 passengers and offer a wonderfully intimate way to travel. Discounted itineraries include a Nice to Rome/Civitavechhia cruise Aug 21 starting at $1,895 per person; Rome/Civitavechhia to Marseille Oct 23 starting at $1,795 per person; Marseille to Malaga Oct 30 starting at $1,695 per person; and Malaga to Lisbon on Nov 6 starting at $1,495 per person -- all on the Wind Surf, the line's largest ship and the one with an impressive spa and health club. Other Europe itineraries on the Wind Star and Wind Spirit depart from Monte Carlo, Barcelona, and Athens/Piraeus. In the Caribbean, cruise round-trip out of Barbados Dec 4 or 11 starting at $1,695 per person on the Surf, or St. Thomas to Barbados on Nov 27.
Do Alaska on the Mariner for Cheap
Save 35% to 40% on 7-night Alaska sailings this summer on Radisson's Seven Seas Mariner, a 700-passenger all-suite, all-balcony ship. The weeklong sailings run between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier, or round-trip out of Vancouver, and discounted rates begin at $2,877 to $3,171 per person, including wine with dinner, soft drinks and tips. For more, call tel. 800/285-1835 or go online to www.rssc.com.
The Deutschland is Deal'n
Save 20% on a two-week sailing this fall on Peter Deilmann Cruises' (tel. 800/348-8287; www.deilmann-cruises.com) 513-passenger Deutschland. Departing Sept 22 out of Lisbon, the luxurious European ship calls on ports in Spain, Morocco, France and Italy. Discounted rates start as low as $2,862 per person, including round-trip airfare from New York and 15 other U.S. gateways, plus half off English-language shore excursions. This cruise is also one of the line's golf theme cruises, with opportunities to play six rounds at some of Europe's best courses; discounted cruise and golf package rates begin at $3,661 per person, including airfare.
A Schooner for Mom, Better than Flowers
Book a trip with Maine Windjammer Cruises (tel. 800/736-7981; www.mainewindjammercruises.com) by Mother's Day, May 8, and get a 10% discount for pre-season or fall foliage cruises along the Maine coast on the 29-passenger Grace Bailey, a fully-restored 1882-built sailing ship, or the 29-passenger Mercantile, a restored 1916-built schooner. Be sure to ask for the "April E-News Rate" when you call or type it in the comment box when reserving online. Maine Windjammer Cruises is part of the Maine Windjammer Association (tel. 800/807-WIND; www.sailmainecoast.com), an association of fourteen privately owned classic schooners offering sail-powered summer trips, May through October, along the gorgeous mid-Maine coast, in and around Penobscot Bay. The experience is ultra rustic and folksy, and impossible to forget. Rates typically range from $395 to $875 per person for 2- to 6-night sailings.
Half-Off Alaska Small-Ship Cruises with AdventureSmith
AdventureSmith Explorations (tel. 800/728-2875; www.adventuresmithexplorations.com) is offering a pair of nice deals on its charters of Glacier Bay Cruiseline's Executive Explorer, a speedy 49-passenger, three-deck catamaran with comfortable cabins and spacious public rooms. Her 7-night itinerary sails between Juneau and Ketchikan, visiting Glacier Bay National Park, Skagway, Haines, Wrangell, Sitka, Tracy Arm Fjord, and the Native town of Metlakatla. Right now, all May sailings (departing May 8, 15, 22, and 29) are selling at 2-for-1 prices, which brings the fare to $1,970 per person, double occupancy. All June, July, and August sailings are going for 35% off, bringing the price to $2,820 per person. Small ships are the way to go in Alaska if you can afford them, and these prices make that pill a little easier to swallow.
What Travel Agencies Are Offering
Here's some of the best deals a handful of major travel agencies are advertising this week. Cruises are capacity-controlled and offers may be withdrawn at any time. Similar deals may be available from competing online and brick-and-mortar agencies. All rates are per person and include port charges. Rates for the ultra-luxe lines may also include gratuities and some or all beverages.
CruisesOnly (tel. 800/278-4737; www.cruisesonly.com)
- Carnival Conquest: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from New Orleans. From $699, Aug 21 sailing.
- NCL Norwegian Dream: 10-night Alaska, round-trip from Seattle. From $899, May 30 sailing.
- Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas: 10-night Caribbean & Bermuda, round-trip from Boston. From $1,199, Sept 12 & Oct 2 sailings.
- Celebrity Century: 10-night western Mediterranean, round-trip from Amsterdam. From $1,340, Sept 23 sailing.
- Holland America Rotterdam: 10-night Baltic, round-trip from Copenhagen. From $1,399, June 20 & 30 sailings.
The Cruise Professionals (tel. 800/265-3838; www.cruiseprofessionals.com)
- SeaDream Yacht Club Sea Dream I: 7-night ultra-luxe Croatia, Dubrovnik to Venice. From $3,999, July 16 sailing.
- SeaDream Yacht Club Sea Dream I: 7-night ultra-luxe Croatia, Venice to Dubrovnik. From $3,999, July 9 sailing.
- Silversea Silver Wind: 7-night ultra-luxe Africa, Mahe to Mahe. From $1,848, Nov 22 sailing.
- Silversea Silver Whisper: 7-night ultra-luxe Caribbean, Curacao to Fort Lauderdale. From $1,698, Dec 15 sailing.
- Crystal Serenity: 10-night Mediterranean, Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale. From $2,795, Nov 16 sailing.
- Crystal Symphony: 8-night Caribbean, round-trip Ft. Lauderdale. From $1,995, Dec 6 sailing.
- Radisson Seven Seas Voyager: 7-night ultra-luxe Mediterranean, Monte Carlo to Funchal. From $2,937, Nov 6 sailing.
- Radisson Seven Seas Mariner: 7-night ultra-luxe Alaska, Vancouver to Whittier. From $,2757, Sept 7 sailing.
Just Cruisin' Plus (tel. 800/888-0922; www.justcruisinplus.com)
- Carnival Elation: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Galveston. From $499, Aug. 18 thru Nov. 8 sailings.
- Carnival Conquest: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from New Orleans. From $599, Sep. 11 thru Nov. 13 sailings.
- Holland America Zuiderdam: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $604, Sep. 17 and Oct 1 sailings
- Princess Star Princess: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $549, Oct. 9 and Oct. 16 sailings.
- Princess Caribbean Princess: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $549, Oct. 15 sailing.
- Carnival Spirit: 8-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from San Diego. From $699, Oct. 31 and Dec. 2 sailings.
- Oceania Insignia: 10-night western Mediterranean, Athens to Barcelona. From $1,599, Nov 17 sailing. Deal includes free airfare.
- Oceania Insignia: 10-night South America, Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires. From $1,999, Dec. 9 sailing. Deal includes free airfare.
Mann Travel & Cruises/123Travel (tel. 800/835-9828; www.123travel.com)
- Orient Lines Marco Polo: 22-night Europe, round-trip from Berlin/Warnemunde. From $1,800, July 7 sailing.
- Celebrity Century: 10-night Mediterranean, round-trip from Barcelona. From $1,480, Sept 2 sailing.
- NCL America Pride of Aloha: 7-night Hawaii, round-trip from Honolulu. From $1,089, Sept 4 sailing.
- Carnival Miracle: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Tampa. From $519, Sept 18 sailing.
- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas: 7-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from San Juan. From $639, Oct 9 sailing.
- Carnival Triumph: 5-night Bahamas, round-trip from Charleston. From $549, Oct 18 sailing.
- NCL Majesty: 13-night Caribbean, Boston to Charleston. From $859, Oct 30 sailing.
- Celebrity Zenith: 5-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Miami. From $380, Nov 5 sailing.
- Carnival Celebration: 4-night Bahamas, round-trip from Jacksonville. From $329, Dec 8 sailing.
- Oceania Nautica: 15-night Orient, Hong Kong to Singapore. From $3,299, Jan 6 sailing.
Vacation Outlet (tel. 800/690-2210; www.vacationoutlet.com)
- Carnival Destiny: 7-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from San Juan. From $599, Sept 4 sailing.
- Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas: 5-night New England & Canada, round-trip from Boston. From $649, Aug 30 sailing.
- NCL Norwegian Majesty: 7-night Bermuda, round-trip from Boston. From $848, June 19 sailing.
- Celebrity Century: 15-night Transatlantic, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. From 1,190, Oct 14 sailing.
- Holland America Westerdam: 12-night Europe, Rome to Copenhagen. From $1,599, June 8 sailing.
Vacation Shoppe (tel. 866/7-CRUISE, www.vacationshoppe.com)
- Crystal Serenity: 10-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip Ft. Lauderdale. From $2,995, Nov 26 sailing.
- Crystal Symphony: 11-night Baltic, Copenhagen to Stockholm. From $3,995, Aug 1 sailing.
- Crystal Symphony: 7-night New England/Canada, round-trip New York. From $2,195, Oct 9 sailing.
- Holland America Volendam: 5-night western Caribbean, round-trip Tampa. From $549, Nov 25 sailing.
- Holland America Zaandam: 14-night Panama Canal, San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale. From $1,999, Sept 28 sailing.
- Holland America Rotterdam: 16-night South America, Valparaiso to Rio. From $1,868, Dec 6 sailing.
- Carnival Liberty: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip Ft. Lauderdale. From $560, Dec 4 sailing. This sailing includes special wine-themed activities.
- Carnival Legend: 8-night southern Caribbean, round-trip Ft. Lauderdale. From $599, Dec 11 sailing.
Do you have a question or comment on this column? Head to our Cruise Message Boards to join in the discussions with fellow Frommer's travelers.