It was actually a hundred years ago that we started recognizing our mothers with a special day all of their own. The first mother's day was proclaimed on May 10, 2008 and one hundred years later, you best be thinking of the perfect way to show Mom how much you love her. Nothing says I love you like travel, so get the family together to celebrate.
Aruba certainly wants to commemorate the occasion and is rolling out the red carpet for Mom. For the entire month of May 2008, The Mill Resort & Suites (tel. 800/992-2015; www.millresort.com) will offer all mothers homemade cookies upon arrival, a special souvenir, a discount at the Intermezzo Day Spa and Beauty Salon and dinner discounts at The Garden Café Restaurant. Moms will also enjoy $10 casino coupon and a discount on jewelry at Diamond's International. At the Westin Aruba Resort (tel. 877/822-2222; www.westinaruba.com) Mom will receive the treatment she deserves with a $100 credit at the resort's luxurious spa and a complimentary day for the kids at the Westin Kids Club -- so Mom can get some alone time (or dare we say romance with Dad time). Valid May 1 to August 31, 2008. For the entire month of May, the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Aruba (tel. 800/HOLIDAY; www.aruba.sunspreeresorts.com) is serving up a free bottle of wine upon check in to all moms to help them relax. Also throughout May, adventurous moms will enjoy a 10% discount off water sports from Pelican Adventures.
The Radisson Aruba Resort & Casino (tel. 888/201-1718; www.radisson.com/aruba) invites mothers to visit the gorgeous oceanfront spa for a tour, complimentary champagne and the chance to receive a special spa gift. Valid each Sunday through May 31, 2008 and for mother's to be, the Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino (tel. 800/223-6388; www.arubamarriott.com) is offering an indulgent four-night stay, with the fifth night free, a 50-minute Pregnancy Massage or a 50-minute Reflex Foot Massage at the award-winning Mandara Spa, with rates starting at $319 per room, per night. Valid May 1 to 26, 2008. Please use promotional code P51.
Cruising is also a good way to bring the family together and there are several Caribbean cruises departing in time to spend Mother's Day on the high seas. Cruise.com (tel. 888/333-3116; www.cruise.com) has the following discounted options currently available:
- A three-day cruise to the Bahamas aboard Carnival Cruise Lines' Fascination departs from Miami on May 9 and returning on May 12, 2008 -- with two full days in Nassau. Prices start from $259 per person in an inside cabin, $319 with an ocean view or $619 in a suite.
- An eight-day eastern Caribbean cruise to San Juan, Puerto Rico and Tortola aboard the Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Spirit departs from New York on May 3, 2008. Inside cabin rates start from $749 per person, ocean view from $829 and balcony cabins from $1049.
- A four-day western Caribbean cruise to Cozumel aboard Carnival Cruise Lines' Fantasy departs from New Orleans. Prices start from $309 per person in an inside cabin, $349 with an ocean view or $849 in a suite.
If a trip to the second city is more your Mom's speed, then the whole family can enjoy a stay at the Spring Hill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North (tel. 312/644-4071; www.chicagorivernorthhotel.com/springhillsuites). Celebrate Mom with a special Mother's Day offer at Spring Hill Suites Enjoy one night deluxe accommodations on May 10, 2008 in a king suite featuring a full-size sofa sleeper and kitchen and treat Mom to a relaxing day at the Mario Tricoci hair salon and Day Spa and shopping the Magnificent Mile. This Mother's Day Package includes one night deluxe accommodations in a king suite, complimentary hot breakfast buffet, a $50 Gift Card to The 900 Shops -- good at over 100 stores, a Celebrate Mom gift bag filled with goodies, a complimentary makeup consultation and custom blend "Perfect Mom Lip Color" from Mario Tricoci Hair Salon & Day Spa, personalized Exclusively 900 card offering savings and discounts at participating retailers and a signature Gift with $100 shopping purchase. This package is priced $299 but can only be booked by telephone.
For a desert adventure the whole family will love, Reed Jeep tours (tel. 888/440-5337; www.red-jeep.com) in Palm Springs has a special this Mother's Day (May 10 and 11, 2008 only). Take any of their tours that run on weekends, including, the Indian Cultural, Stargazing, Twilight, Faultline, or Pioneer Adventure and Mom's ticket is 50% off. If three tickets are purchased, then Mom goes free. The tours, which range from three-and-a-half to four hours each, are all priced at $129 for adults and $119 for kids. You must ask for the Mother's Day special when you make your reservation to receive your discount.
Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort (tel. 800/438-4373; www.marcoislandmarriott.com) is inviting families to take mom on a destination Mother's Day to the Florida Gulf Coast resort. Moms get to choose two of the following free gifts daily:
- $100 dining credit to any one of the resort's six restaurants
- Round of golf on The Rookery at Marco Island
- One of the following treatments at The Spa at Marco Island: a 50-minute Swedish massage, a 50-minute hydration facial or a signature spa pedicure (valued at $120)
Especially available on Mother's Day, May 11, the Gifts from Paradise Marco Island Vacation package starts at $499 per room per night in a resort-view room with up to quad occupancy. For moms who can't get away on Mother's Day, the overnight package is also available on select dates throughout 2008: April 12 to 19, July 6 to 8, September 1 to 2 and November 2 to 4. For reservations use booking code P50 online or booking code XXAM by phone.
Gate One Travel (tel. 800/682-3333; www.gate1travel.com) suggests that you take your Mom out for some international cuisine this Mother's Day. It is offering up a slew of travel packages on or around Mother's Day. A few suggestions include:
- Paris -- airfare, four nights' accommodations and breakfast daily from $599 plus taxes
- Antwerp & Brussels -- airfare, five nights' accommodations (two in Antwerp, three in Brussels) rail and daily from $899 plus tax
- Bangkok -- airfare, six nights' accommodations and breakfast daily from $899 plus tax
- San Jose, Costa Rica -- airfare, four nights' accommodations and breakfast daily from $619 plus taxes
- Rio de Janeiro -- airfare, six nights' accommodations and breakfast daily from $839 plus taxes.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Family Travel Message Boards today.