With the winter holidays behind us, the travel industry is in a bit of a lull right now. This means there's no better time to snag a last-minute deal on a getaway. Here are two ways to save on a spur-of-the-moment trip:
Better-Off-Dead DealsIn the travel biz, the week immediately following New Year's is known as "dead week." Like a dried-up Christmas tree that's been kicked to the curb, travel drops off the map after the hectic holiday season. For families with school kids, traveling during dead week is a tough sell. They've just spent their energy and money on the holidays and the kids are just returning to school after a long holiday break.
But for homeschoolers and families with babies and toddlers, dead week can be a sweet opportunity to snag a bargain getaway. It's a time when hotels and airlines offer super deals, and vacation spots are not only uncrowded but affordable. Here are some dead week deals that scream "last-minute getaway":
- New York City: Westin New York at Times Square -- From Jan. 2 to Jan. 6, prices dip by about $200 per night compared the peak holiday period and the remainder of January. Rooms start at $233 a night during "dead week" and pop back up to $409 the following week.
- St. Petersburg, Fla.: Renaissance Vinoy Resort & Golf Club -- From Jan. 1 to Jan. 6, this Marriott property in Florida is offering nightly rates starting at $85, which is a 65% savings. However, this one requires a seven-day advance booking. Use promo code ADP.
- Puerto Rico: Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa -- From Jan. 1 to Jan. 8, rates start at $99 -- a savings of 42% off winter prices. Call tel. 800/474-6627 and mention promo code DIS88.
Save Up to 33% at NYC HotelsWe've said it before and we'll say it again: it's always a good idea to check tourism websites to see if there are any good deals to be had in your destination. Case in point: NYC & Company (www.nycgo.com) is highlighting two excellent hotel offers in the Big Apple for the coming months:
- 3rd Night Free at Signature Collection Hotels: Sixteen of the city's most prestigious hotels (The Plaza! The Ritz! The Peninsula!) are offering the equivalent of a 33% discount for stays between Jan. 2 and March 7.
- Up to 25% Off at over 90 Hotels: The "Get More NYC" promo offers a nice price cut at hotels all over the city when you visit in January or February.
WeJustGotBack.com is an award-winning family travel site. It features reviews of kid-friendly hotels and resorts, expert planning advice, readers' travel tips, vacation deals, and more. Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Family Travel Forum.