Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Florida, is the best beach in the United States, according to this year's rankings compiled by sand and surf expert Dr. Beach.
The good doctor knows what he's talking about. His real name is Stephen P. Leatherman, and he's the director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University in Miami. He rates beaches according to how soft the sand is, how clear the water, how clean the environmental conditions, and other factors.
After coming in second place last year, Siesta Beach takes top honors in 2017, in part for its fine, white sand made of powdered quartz. Last year's winner, Hapuna Beach State Park on the big island of Hawaii, fell to number eight in the most recent rankings.
With seven sites in the top 10, the eastern U.S. fared far better than the west on Dr. Beach's list. Florida is the only state that shows up three times.
Here's the full top 10 for 2017:
1. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Florida
2. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
3. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
4. Grayton Beach State Park, Walton County, Florida
5. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
6. Coast Guard Beach, Eastham, Massachusetts
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna State Beach Park, Hawaii (Big Island)
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego
10. Beachwalker State Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina