The specific promotions described in this article have now passed, but it remains online so that the resources named will be of future use to travelers.
For the seventh year running, Alaska travel columnist Scott McMurren has published a little booklet chock full of coupons good for two-for-one deals, discounts and free admissions all across our forty-ninth state. While the $99.95 pricetag might seem steep at first, the Great Alaskan TourSaver has some doozies when it comes to getting your money's worth. This essential money-saving resource is a favorite of our readers who've successfully used it to get out and explore the home of 100,000 + glaciers, 17 of the tallest mountains in the United States, active volcanoes, crystal-clear waterways and forest lands brimming with wildlife.
Savings examples that caught our eye include:
- One free guided flightseeing tour of the Mt. McKinley with one fully-paid passenger, saving you up to $225
- One free night at Chena Hot Springs Resort with one paid night (equal to about $195)
- Two-for-one passage on Alaska's Inter Island Ferry (valued at $60)
- A free night's camping permit (up to $20)
- Free companion airfare for the Haines/Gustavus route (worth up to $262)
Others are good for extra days on your rental cars; discounted guided fishing charters; and freebie admissions for ice skating, airport parking and photo processing. Please note that many of these coupons expire at the end of September 2005, when the official tourist season ends, so be sure to check those dates.
You can purchase the TourSaver online at www.toursaver.com, where you can also see every single available deal before you purchase the booklet. That's honesty in advertising we like to see. Additionally, you can also subscribe to McMurren's e-mail newsletter that's all about what to see and do in Alaska.